Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Soap Box / Re: Windows File Manager (WinFile)
« Last post by hutch-- on Today at 02:43:45 AM »
I have settled on the one by the guy at Microsoft who kept it as close as possible to the original. It has no bad habits at all. Nice to have a decent version again.
The Soap Box / Re: IRS Computer Software
« Last post by hutch-- on Today at 02:42:36 AM »
Humour is its probably a mainframe asm for something like a PDP 8.  :P
The Orphanage / Re: Bloat without the power
« Last post by hutch-- on Today at 02:38:45 AM »
They fail for different reasons, a HDD fails mechanically and sometime the electronics fail where the better end of SSDs slowly wear out which means the chips start to lose their read/write capacity. Most HDDs last OK but I have lost the odd one from time to time. My old i7 with Win7 64 dropped a boot disk and even though I could read/write to it, the backup software would not read it so I lost the whole boot drive and had to install again. I build machines with multiple HDDs for both storage and redundancy, if you have your important stuff backed up on multiple drive and on multiple machines you can survive a HDD failure.

The old i7 now has a 450 gig SSD as its boot drive so its probably safe until the board claps out with old age but the disk should still be able to be read on another box.
The Soap Box / IRS Computer Software
« Last post by cman on Today at 02:29:42 AM »
I heard a story on npr yesterday detailing the antiquated state of computer equipment and software at America's IRS ( internal revenue service ). It seems a lot of their software is still written in a mysterious and outdated language known as "Assembly": https://www.npr.org/2018/04/20/604106157/irs-computer-glitch-caused-by-master-file-issue  :biggrin:
Game Development / Re: Lonewolff's ASM game creation thread
« Last post by aw27 on Today at 12:40:52 AM »
Hi Jose,

Are you willing to release the source code of the DMath lib?
So we can learn from it and see if improvements can be done?
Hi Marinus,

I may publish in the near future in Github for the x86, for x64 I will have to modify it because was produced for UASM/JWASM and does not assemble with ML64, contains things like "uses xmm6 xmm7" and other amenities like relying on an option to align stack variables to 16 byte boundaries.
Modification will take a fair amount of time because the code is huge.
Game Development / Re: Lonewolff's ASM game creation thread
« Last post by Siekmanski on April 20, 2018, 11:42:39 PM »
Hi Jose,

Are you willing to release the source code of the DMath lib?
So we can learn from it and see if improvements can be done?
Game Development / Re: Random colored rects
« Last post by Siekmanski on April 20, 2018, 10:49:07 PM »
Can't wait to see your first game in DX9.  :t
Game Development / Re: old Javacode and some dx9code
« Last post by daydreamer on April 20, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »
it would be nice to evolve sphere made out of loads of halfcircles made with help of trigo LUT,where earliest version loaded a lowres texture 360x180, so angle used in sin/cos pointed to pixel in texture, and the last version had a 3600x1700 huge moonmaptexture
evolve it to instead make use of asm/dx vertices instead of pixels and ability to fly around moon,land on moon etc
would be nice to make some glassbreaking pixelshader, instead of Java when you shoot or walk thru a window
one or more 3d file format loader in asm
Game Development / Re: Directx 9 last shot (at least for now)
« Last post by Siekmanski on April 20, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
1: No, once initialized, they stay the same.
2: Don't know how DX internally communicates with all different GPU drivers, do the COM interfaces gives us the same address values of all interfaces from all different GPU drivers? I don't know.
3: Never checked it.

Demo coders use all the tricks known to get the smallest and fastest demos.
Before entering the competition, they know on what system their demos will run.
Probably also what monitor resolutions are available.
Also for DX they know before, which DX wrapper lib is installed on the demo party sytem.

This is why there often are different release versions of the same demo:
- party release
- final release, should run at least on more sytems.

My philosophy on this is, if you don't enter a demo competition, stay away from all the trickery.
I always "try" to get my proggys running from XP up to Win10.
This is the reason I use Direct3D9 and not the higher versions.
Game Development / Re: Random colored rects
« Last post by daydreamer on April 20, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
nice to see dx code without macros :t, enough knowledge for make a tetris or a breakout game

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10