Author Topic: Browser problems with the forum.  (Read 357 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Browser problems with the forum.
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:18:03 AM »
After some of the automatic updates in Win10, my Google based browser started to have typing lag problems with this forum and even though I have done a reasonable amount of work trying to track it down, I have not found out why yet. It also happens on Google Chrome so it may be a problem with Chrome based browsers as Slimjet is based off Chrome. I have tested Microsoft Edge and it does not display the problem so I suspect that Microsoft are up to some of their old trick of long ago that they used on Netscape to try and force more people to use the old IE.

In the short term it looks like I will have to use Edge so I can type into the forum, what I have been doing for a while is typing the post in a text editor then pasting it into the forum. I don't have to do this with Edge, even though it is a weird thing to try and set up.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Browser problems with the forum.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:40:37 AM »
No such problems with Pale Moon. I switched some time ago from Firefox because of FF's excessive memory use. Right now, with 4 pages open, Pale Moon's working set is at 570MB, and that is acceptable. FF needed twice as much, and used the hard disk a lot for paging. I haven't tried the new Firefox Quantum, though...

ragdog

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 03:57:25 AM »
Code: [Select]
Firefox because of FF's excessive memory use
Yes with the old Firefox, have i same problem but i use since weeks Quantum and have by 10 or more tabs open ca 20-30 % Cpu

@Hutch with FF have i not any problems on this site curious  :icon_confused:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
ca 20-30 % Cpu

That's far too much. Mine is at 0...2%, and if it goes to 5%, then I know a site is misbehaving.

jimg

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 04:39:56 AM »
Something in the forum or provider has changed in the last week.  I'm noticing more lag, not typing but just getting the pages.  Still using firefox 56.0.2

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:45:18 AM »
It may be these new security patches being applied to browsers, OS versions and servers. All the info in the last month or so said they would make everything slower.
hutch at movsd dot com

LiaoMi

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
After some of the automatic updates in Win10, my Google based browser started to have typing lag problems with this forum and even though I have done a reasonable amount of work trying to track it down, I have not found out why yet. It also happens on Google Chrome so it may be a problem with Chrome based browsers as Slimjet is based off Chrome. I have tested Microsoft Edge and it does not display the problem so I suspect that Microsoft are up to some of their old trick of long ago that they used on Netscape to try and force more people to use the old IE.

In the short term it looks like I will have to use Edge so I can type into the forum, what I have been doing for a while is typing the post in a text editor then pasting it into the forum. I don't have to do this with Edge, even though it is a weird thing to try and set up.

I have no changes on google chrome, the speed of working with the update has grown by a factor of two, Google Chrome has updated many of the engines inside the browser, the speed has increased to 10 times, when there are doubts, you can try the portable version, which without cache and dumped logs  - https://downloads.sourceforge.net/portableapps/GoogleChromePortable64_65.0.3325.181_online.paf.exe

Dont forget to install add-ons to block ads, because availability of advertising on other sites, affects the opening of other pages without advertising, I have installed - ScriptSafe, AdGuard AdBlocker, Popup Blocker Pro, AdBlock, Click&Clean, AdBlock Plus and for speed optimization, a plugin that freezes inactive tabs - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg or https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onetab/chphlpgkkbolifaimnlloiipkdnihall

Everything works very quickly and without hanging  ::)

AW

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:56:19 PM »
Now, my Google Chrome is working without problems in Windows 10 on the MASM forum.
I did nothing to fix it, so some update may have changed things. Now I have Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)

daydreamer

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »
stop complaining and write your own 4k asm browser :P
Quote from Flashdance
Nick  :  When you give up your dream, you die.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 11:38:27 PM »
I have just loaded a browser I used to use in the past, Iron Portable. Tried an old version I had from an archive and it seemed to work OK so I downloaded the current version and installed it and it seems to be free of the problem I was having with bad lags while typing into the forum. Real shame actually as SlimJet has been a really good browser for a long time.
hutch at movsd dot com

LordAdef

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
Up until yesterday I've been having serious issues too, either with Edge or Ipad.

For some reason, I'm not being able to use any of the reply button options, neither the little funny faces.