Author Topic: open .asm files ---> 64 bit  (Read 93 times)

zedd151

• -------------
open .asm files ---> 64 bit
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:49:31 PM »
I have been looking for the registry key to change the right click option to open with either the 32 bit qeditor or the 64 bit qeditor. I have both in the context menu already.

The issue is that they are both listed as MASM32 code editor, I would like to change it so that the 64 bit qeditor shows as  "MASM64 code editor".

I know that it shows "MASM32" because that is how qeditor (64 bit) is identified in its properties ( the same as the 32 bit version) .

searching the registry with regedit is taking an eternity.....

:biggrin:

I'll figure it out eventually.  Would be easier if 64 bit .asm had a different extension (.a64) ???

@ Micros**t  --> 

Coming Soon "Taming Ten" - A tutorial for taming Windows 10, to gain more control over YOUR OWN computer.

zedd151

• -------------
Re: open .asm files ---> 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asm]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asm\OpenWithList]
"a"="qeditor64.exe"
"b"="qeditor.exe"
"c"="NOTEPAD.EXE"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.asm\OpenWithProgids]
"asm_auto_file"=hex(0):

no option to change the text in the context menu, but I'm still searching....

in windows xp, it was much easier editing the right click context menu entries. Well the icons for the two different qEditor versions are slightly different - so I have to get out my reading glasses to distinguish between the two. 
@ Micros**t  --> 

Coming Soon "Taming Ten" - A tutorial for taming Windows 10, to gain more control over YOUR OWN computer.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
I wonder why you want to use both - isn't one of them enough?

zedd151

• -------------
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
jj --->  I wonder why you want to use both

For the Project--> BuildAll or Project---> Assemble and Link menu options. Makes life easier. Just one of my quirks..   :biggrin:

@ Micros**t  -->