Author Topic: Bloat without the power  (Read 46 times)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Bloat without the power
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:47 PM »
Windows 7-64 just updated itself, fine. Rebooted, clicked on Firefox and Thunderbird and ... wait ... wait ... they take minutes to load. M$ Visual Studio Community takes a clever approach, it greets you after 1-2 seconds with a splash screen, but then it takes 130 seconds to load a hello world proggie.

In contrast, MS Word takes just 10 seconds, too much for an i5 but acceptable in comparison; RichMasm (from scratch, directly after reboot) takes less than a second to load itself, and less than a second to load 33k lines of code.

This machine gets more and more sluggish, and I don't know what to do. 125 GB free on harddisk, 4 GB RAM. Control Panel, Windows performance says it's a great machine, with 4.7 of 7.9 possible points, and video card being the weakest point.

Code: [Select]
Componente Dettagli Punteggio parziale Punteggio base
Processore Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz 7.0 4.7
  Determinato dal punteggio parziale piĆ¹ basso

Memoria (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
Scheda video Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 4.7
Grafica dei giochi 1760 Memoria totale disponibile per la grafica in megabyte 6.4
Disco rigido primario 126GB disponibili (448GB totale) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium

Fortunately, everything that has to do with my coding is fast, as usual - UAsm does it in about 20,000 lines per second. The problem is really the bloatware that they are forcing down our throats. Firefox has done nothing significant so far (SMF is a liteweight engine), but it has grabbed already 600MB of working space. Why???

sinsi

Re: Bloat without the power
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »
Because everything nowadays is .net

I have a program with 20-odd controls (static, edit).
Using the latest (common control manifest, ml14) my program takes ~5 seconds to show.
Using no manifest and ml6 it loads instantly.

Speed up a laptop? Easy - install an SSD. Major improvement.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.