Author Topic: Magic moments lost.  (Read 3058 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Magic moments lost.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »
Hi GoneFishing,

Nice looking old film camera, lens looks about 45 - 50 mm so if you used it on a tripod with some decent 100 ASA film, Agfa or similar you would get really good quality prints from it.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
Good, old, reliable analog technology. Is it still possible to buy the necessary materials (films) for it?

I've never thought about this but I guess yes ( not sure if modern films are compatible with old Soviet tech )

Hi GoneFishing,

Nice looking old film camera, lens looks about 45 - 50 mm so if you used it on a tripod with some decent 100 ASA film, Agfa or similar you would get really good quality prints from it.

Hi Hutch,

You're right.  52,4 mm.  My father had tripod ( not so long ago I saw it somewhere in the house ). Dad was amateur photographer. So was I in my early teens. 
20 years ago I made very bright and picturesque photos with this camera.

I've just checked it . It has  model number 4 not 3 . Here's how it looks:

Our box has different label on it. Documents are dated 1969

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »
Good, old, reliable analog technology. Is it still possible to buy the necessary materials (films) for it?
I've never thought about this but I guess yes ( not sure if modern films are compatible with old Soviet tech )
I think you can still get slide film (Positive film as compared to Negative (inverted colour) films), as this is still used in the 'Stills' photo industry.
Digital still hasn't surpassed high quality camera lens and film AFAIK.

Whether it is available for that type camera.. you'll have to find out.
 ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »
I think you can still get slide film (Positive film as compared to Negative (inverted colour) films), as this is still used in the 'Stills' photo industry.

I don't have slightest idea how to do it + I need projector

Whether it is available for that type camera.. you'll have to find out.
 ;)

Sure , I will  :t

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 01:23:16 AM »

The inscription is funny. 50 years of the October Revolution with the image of the battleship Aurora. Those were the days.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 01:35:56 AM »

The inscription is funny. 50 years of the October Revolution with the image of the battleship Aurora. Those were the days.

Gunther

Model 4 was produced in the period since 1964 till 1980. I think the camera on the picture was made in 1967 , 50th anniversary of October revolution. In those times it was a really great jubilee not like nowadays when the 100th anniversary  went silent and almost unnoticed.

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 01:52:07 AM »
I think the camera on the picture was made in 1967 , 50th anniversary of October revolution. In those times it was a really great jubilee not like nowadays when the 100th anniversary  went silent and almost unnoticed.

I can remember that well. The bullet shots of the Aurora on television, the big rally with Brezhnev and Kossigyn on Red Square (Красная площадь). But there were also moving times in Western Europe and the USA. Students demonstrated with images of Lenin, Ho Chi Minh and Che against the dirty war in Vietnam. Then, in April 1968, the attack against Rudi Dutschke in Berlin...etc.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 04:26:40 AM »
I can't remember those times . My memories begin with Moscow Olympic Games 1980. Black'n'white TV set and Olympic bear ( Mishka) flying away.

Vortex

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 06:02:18 AM »
Hi Gunther,

The Cannon EOS 450D is a nice digital camera. You have a wide range of lens choice. RAW image capturing is an important feature of DSLRs.

Hi GoneFishing,

Thanks for the EXIF info. You have a nice analogue camera, a very robust device which can serve for long years, the magic of mechanics. A digital camera's service life is very short compared to the analogue versions. Your camera model, does it a have a built-in light metering system?

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 06:20:46 AM »
Hi GoneFishing,

Thanks for the EXIF info. You have a nice analogue camera, a very robust device which can serve for long years, the magic of mechanics. A digital camera's service life is very short compared to the analogue versions. Your camera model, does it a have a built-in light metering system?

Hi Vortex,
You're welcome. You and K_F have inspired me to use that camera  again. 
I think yes , it has.

anunitu

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
the birds remind me of bluejays,they are very territorial,and wil dive bomb you,one almost caught me in the head with its beak.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
GoneFishing,

Just have a look at the specs for it and I imagine that you would find that on the internet but it looks like a normal sized camera so it most probably takes normal 35mm film. It is not as easy to get as it used to be but I imagine you would still be able to get film, its mainly if its not to much hassle to get from where you live. Another win is if you can find a supply at the right price, you can store rolls of film in a domestic refrigerator and it will last many years.

If you still have the literature that came with the camera it should give you the recommended film speeds to use but it would be common for a camera of that era to easily handle from ASA 400 down to the very slow speeds like ASA 50 or even slower. It goes roughly the case that the slower the film, the finer the grain and ASA 100 is a good choice for high quality prints.

Now the next question is, do you have any of the photos your dad took with the camera and did he have any accessories like screw on filters that you screwed onto the front of the lense ?
hutch at movsd dot com

anta40

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
Digital still hasn't surpassed high quality camera lens and film AFAIK.

Fuji still produce slide films, AFAIK. If you are landscapers who like accurate, vivid color, go shoot Provia/Velvia while they are available.
And Kodak announced that they will bring back the once discontinued Ektachrome.

I tried a few times shooting slide flims. They are not as "fault-tolerant" as their negative counterparts.
If you meter the exposure incorrectly, you'll get underexposed images  :(

One of the advantages of shooting film nowadays, in my opinion, is be able to use bigger formats (120, 4x5, 8x10 etc) without breaking your bank account. :biggrin:

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
Hutch,
Yes, I have full set of literature that came with camera.
I remember one yellow screw on filter . Not sure maybe there were some more. It's already 20 years that dad passed away
Also this thing ( first from the left ) :

I've never looked at our  photos from the photographer's point of view. They are mostly family photos but I must have a look in our albums .What I can say for sure that when I tried the camera with color film I got surprisingly good results. Again all my images were with our family and I can proudly say that they are the best in our albums !

Now I'm going to find out if I can get films and all other services here.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
A yellow filter is usually a colour correction filter for scenes that have a low colour temperature (usually look grey and cold) so if you are in an environment that has a lot of snow or little sunlight it may be useful in brightening it up so it has a more natural appearance. The clamp in the photo looks like a swivel head and it should be useful to set up the camera so its level (I hate photos with incorrect horizon lines) and it may be useful to see if you can find more of your dad's filters as it allows you to do more things.
hutch at movsd dot com