Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Soap Box / Re: Need for Speed - C++ versus Assembly Language
« Last post by hutch-- on Today at 08:45:30 PM »
The reason that sticks in my head is POWER, size is useful in that it allows you to do things that would be clunky and complicated in a HLL not designed for the purpose which means that you can trade size for speed when your code is small enough to get away with it but below all of the practical considerations, it is the architectural freedom to design what you like in whatever way you like that is the real reason why I write in x86 assembler.
The Orphanage / Re: Extremely slow context menus
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 06:55:52 PM »
 :t
« Last post by TWell on Today at 06:51:13 PM »
ShellExView have Options -> Restart Explorer Ctrl+E
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 06:17:57 PM »
Good idea, sinsi. Will try asap.
The Soap Box / Re: Need for Speed - C++ versus Assembly Language
« Last post by Raistlin on Today at 03:48:34 PM »
Code: [Select]
I always laugh at some of the notions of speed, would it really matter if your MessageBoxA was a few picoseconds faster than someone elses ?
Although I agree - I have another reason for doing full ASM apps. Wait for it.... TA DAAAAA = Size !

Yes, size does matter - especially when you want to create cross hardware/software SKU -platform support / installs, network-comms etc.

It does not detract either that: Smaller, generally (yes, I know that's relative) means faster.
RE: smaller in-memory footprint, cache hit probability, hdd binary size reduces load times etc....

[EDIT: Note to self - do not use "etc" so much - either list all or list none]
« Last post by sinsi on Today at 12:47:12 PM »
Have you tried killing Explorer from Task Manager and restarting it? Can be quicker then a reboot.
The Orphanage / Code pages and batch files - fun with XP
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 11:45:31 AM »
@echo off
echo Hello, we will try now to change the codepage to 850:
chcp 850
echo Wow, that worked! Now we'll try 1252:
chcp 1252
echo Wow, that worked also! But what about UTF-8?
chcp 65001

echo congrats!
pause

Looks straightforward, right? But it isn't... try it with XP. From a DOS prompt, please, because it will never reach the "congrats" 8)

I stumbled over this Windows bug because RichMasm had stopped working in XP. It took me quite a while to spot this exotic behaviour, now it's fixed with a switch for XP :bgrin:

P.S.: This bug affects Windows 2003 as well, see batch stops on command "chcp 65001 >NUL" - Windows2003; the suggestion to use chcp 65001 > nul && <real command here> does not work.
MasmBasic & the RichMasm IDE / Re: MasmBasic
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 11:35:41 AM »
Version 29 May is online. As usual, you can just reinstall the package, no need to delete old files or backup your own sources.

Pens and brushes can now be created to arrays. This creates 100 random circles in random colours (attached):

include \masm32\MasmBasic\Res\MbGui.asm
  Dim Pens() As DWORD
  Dim Brushes() As DWORD
  For_ ct=0 To 99
      MakePen Pens(ct), Rand(-1), width 10      ; use random colours
      MakeBrush Brushes(ct), Rand(-1)      ; also for the fill
  Next
  MakePath      123, Circle(200)      ; ID, type circle: radius 20%, i.e. n/1000 of window rect
Event Paint
  For_ ct=0 To 99  ; ID       pen/brush          x        y     scaleX      scaleY
      GuiDraw 123, <Pens(ct)/Brushes(ct)>, <Rand(850).>, <Rand(850).>, eax, <Rand(900)>      ; ScaleX is eax, same as scaleY
  Next
GuiEnd

the result in the Find is not updated for the include files, and still shows the old expression

Sorry, Alex, no time to fix that right now. You can reload, though: Shift F5

Good news: RichMasm works on Windows XP. Again. It had stopped working due to a hilarious Windows bug, see
Code pages and batch files - fun with XP.

As a side effect, I had to write a new macro:

include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc
      Init
      Print Str$("This is Windows version %i", MbWinVersion()), Str$(".%i", ecx)
      void MbWinVersion()
      Print Str$(", build %i", dx)
EndOfCode
Rem      returns major version in eax, minor version in ecx, and build in dx

Output: This is Windows version 6.1, build 7601

Note this is the real Windows version, not what you declare via "compatibility settings".

Btw when building a project in RichMasm, the environment variable is accessible via
  ifidn @Environ(oWin), <5>
MsgBox 0, "Built on XP", "Hi", MB_OK
  endif
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 11:24:51 AM »
have me seriously considering dropping back to windows 7.

Jim, don't do that! Me talking about Win7-64 above :icon_mrgreen:
« Last post by jimg on Today at 09:32:13 AM »
I have had the same problem since the last windows 10 update.  And it goes even further.   When I try to move the scollbar on a listbox, it hesitates two or three seconds before it starts moving.   Other intermitant slowdowns have me seriously considering dropping back to windows 7.

Basically, I'm trying to say, it might not be an actual program that slows it down, but the system itself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10