Author Topic: Hi guys  (Read 215 times)

spintronic

Hi guys
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:37:43 AM »
Hi thanks for the add. Just wanted to say I am not a robot, but I do program them for a living in LabView. Wanted to learn more about my Panasonic CF-28 laptop because it's running Windows XP and Turbo Pascal 7.0 just doesn't work like it used to. I would love to learn how to patch it so that BGI graphics work correctly and maybe run Pascal code with a custom graphics driver some day.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Hi guys
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:51:39 AM »
Hi Spin,

Sounds like you have a military toy there so I guess it would be very rugged and should be very reliable. XP is a bit long in the tooth but as long as you avoid the Microsoft upgrade merry go round, its reliable and can do most things. Turbo Pascal is truly an antique and can be replaced by far better and far more powerful programming languages. If you float around here you may end up being led astray and start writing code in MASM and it is a wonderful tool once you get the swing of it.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 02:03:14 AM »
Intel Pentium III 600 MHz

Wow. That is ancient 8)

Welcome to the forum :icon14:

Most of us strive to remain compatible with XP, a few insist even on Win2000. And you can need a speed boost. Check the Lab for fast algos.

nidud

• https://github.com/nidud/asmc
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
The Borland tools need expanded memory so you may try installing that and see if that helps.

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=1174.msg11309#msg11309

aw27

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
Most of us strive to remain compatible with XP, a few insist even on Win2000. And you can need a speed boost. Check the Lab for fast algos.

All the software I sell is compatible with Windows 2000. There are some places still using it.
It used to be with NT as well, but nobody is using NT these days I suspect.
We have a number of boxes for testing and what is left runs from virtual machines. I have also DOS 6.0, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, Me in virtual machines. If someone wants to test something we can.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »
All the software I sell is compatible with Windows 2000. There are some places still using it.

I guess you can earn a living with that: Some software in big companies is so mission-critical that they don't dare touch it. I am always impressed when I see operators in travel agencies hammer obscure codes in their keyboards, with green text on black consoles. It looks so 1960ies, but it works :bgrin:

My stuff needs probably XP. Both MB and RichMasm make heavy use of SSE2.

felipe

• Yeah, assembly is the best!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »
I used for some time turbo pascal 7 (with a patch) in ms-dos 7.1 in a contemporary machine  :shock:. I don't remember troubles with the bgi functions, but probably i didn't use them to much.
I also use old versions of windows in VMs, but it's just for study... :lol:

Btw, Welcome to the forum!... :icon14:
Programmer from the keyboard...