Author Topic: Ship collisions  (Read 630 times)

daydreamer2

Re: Ship collisions
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »
It is sad for the loss of life.

My brother was on the U.S.S. Nimitz and he told me many details about the Navy.

He worked hard and was criticized by other Navy personnel for "working too hard".
tell your brother he did the right thing,I can guess that you are working in a key position at USS Nimitz and slack of only for a split second,planes will crash, innocent lives will be lost
and its a big risk that the radar personnel and/or other lookout personnel slacked off too much thats why they collided
I do not know if modern military vessels have collision alert, like in scifi a computer voice repeating "collision alert,collision alert" or computer automatically makes a turn to avoid collision
now when they have made selfsteering cars, ins unexusable to not have such safety devices

I dont want to be that commanding officer that writes letters to victims relatives that their man/son/father have died

I hope they come up with the conclussion that some kinda safety device need to be installed, rather than blame it on a scapegoat and Think its too expensive to install safety devices

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 12:37:46 AM »
To me this seems like a bad misjudgment, a delay (indecision) too long maybe, whether the naval ship or the other ship.. we'll find out sometime.
These large vehicles, once committed, a course cannot be reversed that easily/quickly.
The buck stops at the Captain of the Ship. ?

One of our sad mishaps.. http://www.saspresidentkruger.com/18th-february-1982/
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

anunitu

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 01:09:08 AM »
Really depends on the Captain. When I was sailing on a destroyer we had a VERY good Captain. Funny story,when I reported aboard,I got the skinny on the Captain. He replaced the one before because of a mutiny. The ship had been 6 months in the Tonkin gulf  yacht  club.(search about the Yacht club) and when they rotated out to the Philippine Islands for a little R&R the Captain would not let ANYONE go ashore. The full crew gathered on the fantail and chanted HIM,F*** HIM!!!!! The navy not being stupid enough to just side with the Captain,investigated and canned that Captain,and brought in the one to replace him. He was a VERY good Captain,in every way,connected close with the crew,and one of the finest sailer in all points of seamanship. We went through a typhoon,and he was the guy to have the helm because he knew his stuff.

A competent Captain is the glue that keeps a tight ship.   

This is the ship I sailed on.

If you wondered,this is how she rides.

daydreamer2

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
they need to hire captain Haddock,check what he did in red sea Sharks, he avoided several torpedoes with a big cargo ship :P

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 11:22:05 AM »
anunitu,

Good photos of your old ship, looking at the second one, you either had your sea legs or a strong stomach.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

anunitu

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
I myself never had a day of being sick at sea. I took to sailing right away. I did go through a few rough times,but you have never lived unless you have a ladder(name for stairs) drop out from under you as you grip the rails so as to not go flying. In my mind,you kind of have to be born to it. I always wanted to be a sailor like my favorite Uncle. My grandparents on my moms side sailed on  clipper ships,the ones that did the Cape Horn passage,before they did the panama channel. Both of them were crew on those ships.

See here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Horn