Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
MasmBasic & the RichMasm IDE / my 100% Assembly game development
« Last post by LordAdef on Today at 03:22:26 PM »
After nearly 3 month as part of the Masm32 community, I started from scratch in Assembly and as a way to learn it, I´ve been developing this 2D game.

I´ll keep updating the development history in this thread from now on.

The whole thing started here if you want to catch up:
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=5962.0

As usual, any help or contribution will more than welcomed!

The Campus / Re: "Hello masm32", not a BOT, new member
« Last post by hutch-- on Today at 02:20:38 PM »
Something that some folks miss, a "syntax error" with an instruction means that the processor does not have a matching opcode for something in source code that has been fed to it. This applies to the multiplier range of 2, 4 and 8, each of which has a matching opcode, try it with any other number and you are trying to call a non existent opcode. The assembler "should" catch this but they can be a bit sloppy and miss a simple error like this, an error type the is mainly a typo.
MasmBasic & the RichMasm IDE / Re: A guide to the RichMasm editor
« Last post by hutch-- on Today at 01:53:25 PM »
I wonder what capacity the COMDAT (common data) has that cannot be done with MASM's "PUBLIC" keyword. It is routine to make something PUBLIC in MASM and access it from other modules.
« Last post by TWell on Today at 12:41:44 PM »
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
At that time BASIC was weak with subroutines and structured programming. Quick Basic and Turbo Basic correct some problems.

Asm programmers needs those little files when creating libraries as ml don't have support for COMDAT.

A good IDE's have a 'Find in files' feature, like poide.exe has.
« Last post by LordAdef on Today at 10:42:15 AM »
NICE ONE!!!!! RM/MB always have a away around things..
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 10:07:55 AM »
I´m on HJWasm, since I usually use RichMasm. I try and keep compatibility using qEditor (ML)

This is how I test different assemblers:
; OPT_Assembler ML  ; somewhere in the file forces RichMasm to use \Masm32\bin\ml.exe (or any other exe...)

OPT is case-sensitive, the rest isn't.
Just put an x after the O: OxPT_anyoption to disable an option. If there are several options of the same type, the last one is valid:
end start
OPT_Arg1  fileA.txt
OPT_Arg1  fileB.txt

CL$() will find fileB.txt
« Last post by LordAdef on Today at 09:51:58 AM »
At compile time, any constant is fine.
At runtime, HSE's remark is correct: 2, 4 or 8 are the allowed scaling values.

I was suspecting that, and the constant test showed it. So, in that syntax the compiler can´t know the value of the register and thus generates an error. Got it.

Thanks everyone, this was instructive.
« Last post by LordAdef on Today at 09:49:33 AM »
does this work ?

mov   eax,2   ; the bullet number
 shl   eax,4
 mov man.bullets[eax].active, FALSE   

what assembler do you use ?

That works too.
I´m on HJWasm, since I usually use RichMasm. I try and keep compatibility using qEditor (ML)
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 09:47:06 AM »
As Edsger Wybe Dijkstra once noted,
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to Visual Studio: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

For these poor beings, who spread their PROTOs and MACROs over a dozen tiny files in order to call their mess a "project", there is HELP now: The attached RichMasm beta extends the search feature (select a word, hit F3) to files that are INCLUDEd in the source.

This is limited to those files that are included by an UPPERCASE INCLUDE at the moment when the file was opened. So to test it, change the desired include to INCLUDE, then save and reload the file:

include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc
; include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc

INCLUDE mymacros.inc
INCLUDElib msvcrt.lib

Here, only mymacros.inc is included in the search.
« Last post by jj2007 on Today at 09:32:07 AM »
It works fine with a constant. Is this a pre-compiling thing?

Exactly:
At compile time, any constant is fine.
At runtime, HSE's remark is correct: 2, 4 or 8 are the allowed scaling values.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10