Author Topic: Amazon launches online retail in Australia  (Read 88 times)

jcfuller

Amazon launches online retail in Australia
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Hutch,
  Are you happy about this?
I am a Prime Junkie and have 3 echo dots and 1 echo show.
How have you survived without it ?? :)

James

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Amazon launches online retail in Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
James,

I am all in favour of putting a boot up the arse of the retail sector in Australia. It won't be easy going for Amazon though, they have serious competition from local companies as well as retail chains like Aldi and a few other new players. What all of the extra competition has done though is put an end to the old 2 company duopoly that used to control retail sales in Australia and consumers are the winners here.

Our government is still up to its old tricks though, they put an import tax on many items imported from online into Australia to try and protect a few very influential retailers here in Australia but the small retailers with low overheads are still doing OK against the big retailers as they don't cost as much to run as old style shopfront retail.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
I am their client, too, but honestly, Mr Bezos should be thrown in jail for a) not paying taxes (in Ireland and Lux) and b) allowing "marketplace" dealers to offer their products illegally without paying VAT. I am not against progress and new business models, but this is criminal behaviour, and the local shops need protection against gangsters.

aw27

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:02:12 AM »
I am their client, too, but honestly, Mr Bezos should be thrown in jail for a) not paying taxes (in Ireland and Lux) and b) allowing "marketplace" dealers to offer their products illegally without paying VAT. I am not against progress and new business models, but this is criminal behaviour, and the local shops need protection against gangsters.
They actually collect VAT, however may not deliver a great portion of it. The same happens with many other US corporations which found that better than complaining about being a tax collector agency for Europeans they can actually make an extra profit out of it.  :lol: