News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Installing the Masm64 SDK

Started by jj2007, July 06, 2023, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

I just made a fresh install of the Masm64 SDK downloaded it here. The installer Jan_20_2023.exe has 8.5MB.

Download it. Windows will try everything to scare you away from running it. Read the legal stuff, and then decide if you want to become a fearless Assembly programmer, or if it's better to stick to C/C++ or Python.

In case you are courageous enough to run Jan_20_2023.exe:
When asked where to extract, put C:\ or D:\ or whatever your MASM drive is. Do not add a folder name.

Afterwards, you'll find a folder x:\Masm64 containing 34.5MB of files.

The only additional ingredient you need is ml64.exe: Download VC.14.29.16.11.Tools.HostX86.TargetX64 (thanks, Timo); it's a small 15MB download. Open it with 7-zip, and inside the archive click your way through:

Contents->VC->Tools->MSVC->14.29.30133->bin->Hostx86->x64

Find ml64.exe and drag it into your \Masm64\bin folder.

I've tested a number of the sources in x:\Masm64\Examples.
When you open the *.asm file in RichMasm and hit F6, they assemble and run smoothly (and you don't need the makeit.bat). If not, give me feedback, please.

P.S.: If I find the time, I will try to develop a solution that makes the SDK compatible with UAsm. This may take a while, though :cool:

Caché GB

Caché GB's 1 and 0-nly language:MASM

jj2007

I've added the best solution to find ML64.exe above.

DeviousMalcontent

Quote from: jj2007 on July 06, 2023, 08:14:16 AM
I just made a fresh install of the Masm64 SDK downloaded here. The installer Jan_20_2023.exe has 8.5MB.

Download it. Windows will try everything to scare you away from running it. Read the legal stuff, and then decide if you want to become a fearless Assembly programmer, or if it's better to stick to C/C++ or Python.

It's a bit silly actually, I was trying to get the damn thing download it several times onto my main Windows PC, but Firefox kept bloody removing it, even after I told it that it was fine to download, or it was caused by Windows Defender, which is an exercise in futility to disable, because even with that it was still being flagged and removed by... 'something'.

I honestly don't have any antivirus on my PC whatsoever, and I haven't since the days of AVG free before they started selling users information.

All this is to say, I think the main reason the file is being flagged is because it has a generic name "Jan_20_2023.exe", without knowing what it is it's possible someone created something very similar that actually was a virus, I reckon to overcome this issue what we should do is distribute the SDK in a zip file, (or move it to an open git repository like GitLab), and rename it to be something more meaningful like Masm64SDKver, nearly every version of Windows ships with some software to extract zip files with, so I think the use of a self-extract is unnecessary.

I managed to get around the issue by downloading the SDK onto my MacBook, with Firefox, and yes it was flagged there as well, but after copying it over to a flash drive my main Windows PC didn't seem to care...  :cool:

jj2007

Here is a test, it works fine for me but no idea if your OS+settings allow it:

include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc
  Init
  Let esi=FileRead$("http://www.masm32.com/download/Jan_20_2023.exe")
  FileWrite "Jan_20_2023.exe", esi, LastFileSize
  Launch "Jan_20_2023.exe"
EndOfCode

Exe and source attached, use at your own risk bla bla: just open the archive and double-click on the exe.

zedd151

Werks fer mi. Of course I'm running Windows 7 and zero AV. Very fast download, no browser overhead.  :tongue:

DeviousMalcontent

Quote from: jj2007 on July 07, 2023, 10:10:38 AM
Here is a test, it works fine for me but no idea if your OS+settings allow it:

include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc
  Init
  Let esi=FileRead$("http://www.masm32.com/download/Jan_20_2023.exe")
  FileWrite "Jan_20_2023.exe", esi, LastFileSize
  Launch "Jan_20_2023.exe"
EndOfCode

Exe and source attached, use at your own risk bla bla: just open the archive and double-click on the exe.

I'll have to give it a go when I get home tonight, I did try doing something similar with a PowerShell command, and it was still being removed (but I'll check again, because my memory is a bit iffy on that testing).

I know if I trigger the antivirus scanner at work it launches an investigation, so I'll check your attachment when I get home tonight, in the next 4-5hours or so.

jj2007

See https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=10883.msg120882#msg120882 for getting ML64.exe :cool:

jj2007

Notice anything wrong?
    include \masm32\include64\masm64rt.inc

These files are affected:
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\NewButns\lib\iButton.asm
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\MBwin\Original\rsrc.rc
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\MBwin\Original\MBwin.asm
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\tEdit\Modules\is_selected.asm
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\tEdit\Modules\set_ucase.asm
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\tEdit\Modules\set_lcase.asm
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\tEdit\Modules\tab_replace.asm
\Masm64\Examples\Advanced\tEdit\Modules\current_line_index.asm