Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Win 3.1 Assembler IDE?

Started by Shintaro, May 23, 2022, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shintaro

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew of an assembler IDE that runs in Windows 3.x?

Something like WinASM.

Regards,
Craig
"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

jj2007

Hi Craig,

See Donkey's answer at the end of http://www.asmcommunity.net/forums/topic/?id=13602

It's a 404, and Wayback machine doesn't have it :sad:

QuoteIt is also available on the programmers heaven utility disk.

What do you need it for? I did a lot of 16-bit coding on 3.1, often thunking to Win32s.

hutch--

Craig,

Can you run MASM 6.0 or 6.11 PWB ? Its a really long time ago but I always liked it back then.

Shintaro

Quote from: jj2007 on May 23, 2022, 06:09:40 PM
What do you need it for? I did a lot of 16-bit coding on 3.1, often thunking to Win32s.
There are some "bucket list" projects I want to complete. To be honest, I kind of prefer win 3.1 but no further than Win95. No distractions.
WinASM 5.1 doesn't work on  Win 3.1. I'll keep looking.

Quote from: hutch-- on May 23, 2022, 06:39:33 PM
Can you run MASM 6.0 or 6.11 PWB ? Its a really long time ago but I always liked it back then.
I like the IDE layout of WinASM, but unless I can find an old version of WinASM, I'll run PWB in a dos window under 3.1.

Open Watcom for DOS has a GUI IDE, I haven't checked to see if MASM can be used instead of the Watcom compiler.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

_japheth

Borland C++ 3.1, MS VC 1.52 or indeed Watcom - Open Watcom supports Win3.1 until recently - at least in theory. Since all 3 environments include  an assembler, they might do what you want.

Biggest problem perhaps is that they require Win3.1 to run in enhanced mode. You need a good Win3.1 graphics driver that allows to switch between the GUI and DOS boxes - smoothly.

If you find a really good working solution, let us know!

Dummheit, gepaart mit Dreistigkeit - eine furchtbare Macht.

Shintaro

Quote from: _japheth on May 23, 2022, 11:29:05 PM

Borland C++ 3.1, MS VC 1.52 or indeed Watcom - Open Watcom supports Win3.1 until recently - at least in theory. Since all 3 environments include  an assembler, they might do what you want.

Biggest problem perhaps is that they require Win3.1 to run in enhanced mode. You need a good Win3.1 graphics driver that allows to switch between the GUI and DOS boxes - smoothly.

If you find a really good working solution, let us know!

MS Visual C/C++ will not let me create a project with assembly files. I'll have a bit more of a play to see if I can get around it.

(Just so other people reading this who might not know MS VC 1.52 was the last version to support 16bit.)

In terms of machines, I have PII with a Matrox G400 Max. Matrox have Win 3.1 Drivers for it, but I need to do a bit more testing.
Then I had an idea of using a Dell D800 laptop with a Dell D-Dock PD01X Expansion Station. But, I wanted Dual Head, and the PD01X only has a single PCI slot. I am not sure a Dual Head PCI cards exists. I thought I found one that had dual DVI connectors, but I can remember where I saw it.

jj2007

Quote from: Shintaro on May 24, 2022, 08:58:47 AMMS Visual C/C++ will not let me create a project with assembly files.

You don't need Visual Crap to assemble a source. The only files you are interested in are ml.exe and link.exe :cool:

Shintaro

Quote from: jj2007 on May 24, 2022, 09:01:18 AM
Quote from: Shintaro on May 24, 2022, 08:58:47 AMMS Visual C/C++ will not let me create a project with assembly files.

You don't need Visual Crap to assemble a source. The only files you are interested in are ml.exe and link.exe :cool:
True, I could use VIM for DOS, and create scripts and key binding to compile/run and debug. I just prefer the GUI.
Actually, I believe Borland Brief does something similar, but there is hardly any docs on it.