Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Missing data types in win64.inc

Started by bluedevil, September 08, 2022, 05:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedevil

Hello

MS has declared its base types here: Windows Data Types.

1. Some of the data types weren't included in win64.inc. For example INT. We have UINT, but no INT. I know there is equilavent data types for INT like INT32.

2. There is no HKEY or HGLOBAL. I know i can use HANDLE!

I just wonder, if these data types are not included on purpose or something else?

Thanks.
..Dreams make the future
But the past never lies..
BlueDeviL // SCT
My Code Site:
BlueDeviL Github

hutch--

Hi bluedevil,

I intentionally use native data SIZES as they are reliable in assembler, BYTE up to QWORD, then SSE4, AVX and AVX2. What I try to avoid is non referential data NAMES as they mean different data sizes in different Windows versions, 16, 32 and 64 bit versions.

A large number of named data types are #TYPEDEFs to native data sizes, by going directly to the native data sizes, you avoid a step looking for data size errors.

jj2007

Quote from: bluedevil on September 08, 2022, 05:33:49 PMMS has declared its base types here: Windows Data Types.

An assembler programmer needs
BYTE/SBYTE
WORD/SWORD
DWORD/SDWORD
QWORD
OWORD

And, of course, he needs to know to what Micros*t's load of crap translates to.

hutch--

What the Microsoft list DOES NOT TELL YOU is the data SIZE. Assemblers do not natively handle data NAMES, they are data SIZES based on register sizes.

As far as wanting an INT data type,

INT n/INTO/INT3/INT1—Call to Interrupt Procedure

It cannot be done as INT is an Intel mnemonic.

bluedevil

Quote from: hutch-- on September 08, 2022, 05:46:13 PM
Hi bluedevil,

I intentionally use native data SIZES as they are reliable in assembler, BYTE up to QWORD, then SSE4, AVX and AVX2. What I try to avoid is non referential data NAMES as they mean different data sizes in different Windows versions, 16, 32 and 64 bit versions.

A large number of named data types are #TYPEDEFs to native data sizes, by going directly to the native data sizes, you avoid a step looking for data size errors.

That was the answer for me thank you hutch

Quote from: jj2007 on September 08, 2022, 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: bluedevil on September 08, 2022, 05:33:49 PMMS has declared its base types here: Windows Data Types.

An assembler programmer needs
BYTE/SBYTE
WORD/SWORD
DWORD/SDWORD
QWORD
OWORD

And, of course, he needs to know to what Micros*t's load of crap translates to.

@jj2007 Esattamente  :thumbsup:
..Dreams make the future
But the past never lies..
BlueDeviL // SCT
My Code Site:
BlueDeviL Github