Author Topic: Ploughing through a technical nightmare  (Read 136 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Ploughing through a technical nightmare
« on: September 23, 2022, 12:24:04 AM »
I have started to install a bed levelling device on the 3D printer. The kit came with no instructions so I have had to so far use a video to do all of the changes. Its like flying blind with a blindfold on with your hands tied behind your back in the pitch black. I have been levelling the bed manually which is a genuine pain and very hard to maintain and it basically had to be done for every print, first when the bed is cold then after it heats up, do it again.

I am hopeful the with this gadget installed, I can escape this horror and actually get some things made. While I have been getting successful prints for some time now, it has always been a hassle to set it all up properly.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

TimoVJL

Re: Ploughing through a technical nightmare
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 12:28:22 AM »
What kind of control language it have ?
May the source be with you

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 02:39:26 AM »
The source files are STL format which is generally the most useful as most slicers can read STL. The slicers convert the STL file, along with user settings in the slicer to gcode which is what the printer reads and understands. The printer uses something like a raspberry pie as its main computer which controls the stepper motors that move the 3 axis locations. The software that the printer uses internally is produced by an open source group called Marlin.
hutch at movsd dot com

NoCforMe

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
Heh; how 'bout 4 servomotors driving jacks, one at each corner, and two levelling sensors, X and Y, on the printer, plus some control circuitry (Arduino/Rasberry PI, whatever)? Some 17-year-old hacker should be able to put it together no problemo. When you fire up the printer, activate the leveler controller, whirr whirr whirr and it's level.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 11:50:55 PM »
 :biggrin:

David,

You don't need some pimply face kid to make that, you just buy them. As far as the auto-levelling, I currently have the printer in pieces and I am fitting a bed leveller. Its a Creality toy called a BLtouch. Typical Chinese tech reference, none at all. They always expect you to know how its done. I have most of it done.
hutch at movsd dot com

NoCforMe

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 03:46:02 AM »
Is that an automagical device like what I described? I'm sure you're not the only person with a 3D printer with that problem.

I was only half joking about that idea: would be a fun project if one had the inclination. (I like tinkering with stuff like that.)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 03:26:21 PM »
I have got it going at last. What can I say about Chinese video instructions for installation ? YUKKKKKK.

I put the video onto an old tablet and tried to follow it that way but tech data aimed at imbiciles is really hard to follow so I gave up on that.

Played the video on a real computer, typed out a text file of about 8 lines of text, copied that to the tablet and got the setup done in about 5 minutes. Running a test print at the moment, looks like it is working correctly but there is one weird effect, the bed levelling software controls the Z axis height and even though the amount of movement is miniscule, I can hear it slightly chomping up and down.

I just had a couple of gadgets turn up from Amazon, tensioners for the X and Y axis belts, you could do them with a hex wrench and a screwdriver to lever the existing tensioners but these look a lot better and give you some semblance of precision.
hutch at movsd dot com