TimoVJL

How we celebrate it  ?
This is a day of 16-Year Anniversary of the Murder of Anna Politkovskaya
May the source be with you

Vortex

Commemorating Anna Politkovskaya :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Politkovskaya

zedd151

This is an odd title. Why would anyone celebrate a murder? Am I missing some context?

If it is supposed to be some sort of commemoration, shouldn't it be on her birthday TimoVJL?

Mikl__

In addition to the murder of Politkovskaya, the following events took place  in 8-th October:

• 314 – Constantine I defeats Roman Emperor Licinius, who loses his European territories.
  • 451 – The first session of the Council of Chalcedon begins.
  • 876 – Frankish forces led by Louis the Younger prevent a West Frankish invasion and defeat emperor Charles II ("the Bald").
  • 1075 – Dmitar Zvonimir is crowned King of Croatia.
  • 1200 – Isabella of Angoulême is crowned Queen consort of England.
  • 1322 – Mladen II Šubić of Bribir is deposed as the Croatian Ban after the Battle of Bliska.
  • 1480 – The Great Stand on the Ugra River puts an end to Tartar rule over Moscow
  • 1573 – End of the Spanish siege of Alkmaar, the first Dutch victory in the Eighty Years' War.
  • 1645 – Jeanne Mance opens the first lay hospital of North America in Montreal.
  • 1813 – The Treaty of Ried is signed between Bavaria and Austria.
  • 1821 – The Peruvian Navy is established during the War of Independence.
  • 1829 – Stephenson's Rocket wins the Rainhill Trials.
  • 1856 – The Second Opium War between several western powers and China begins with the Arrow Incident.
  • 1862 – American Civil War: The Confederate invasion of Kentucky is halted at the Battle of Perryville.
  • 1871 – Slash-and-burn land management, months of drought, and the passage of a strong cold front cause the Peshtigo Fire, the Great Chicago Fire and the Great Michigan Fires to break out.
  • 1879 – War of the Pacific: The Chilean Navy defeats the Peruvian Navy in the Battle of Angamos.
  • 1895 – Korean Empress Myeongseong is assassinated by Japanese infiltrators.
  • 1912 – The First Balkan War begins when Montenegro declares war against the Ottoman Empire.
  • 1918 – World War I: Corporal Alvin C. York kills 28 German soldiers and captures 132 for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.
  • 1921 – KDKA in Pittsburgh's Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game.
  • 1939 – World War II: Germany annexes western Poland.
  • 1941 – World War II: During the preliminaries of the Battle of Rostov, German forces reach the Sea of Azov with the capture of Mariupol.
  • 1943 – World War II: Around 30 civilians are executed by Friedrich Schubert's paramilitary group in Kallikratis, Crete.
  • 1944 – World War II: Captain Bobbie Brown earns a Medal of Honor for his actions during the Battle of Crucifix Hill, just outside Aachen.
  • 1952 – The Harrow and Wealdstone rail crash kills 112 people.
  • 1956 – The New York Yankees's Don Larsen pitches the only perfect game in a World Series.
  • 1962 – Der Spiegel publishes an article disclosing the sorry state of the Bundeswehr, and is soon accused of treason.
  • 1967 – Guerrilla leader Che Guevara and his men are captured in Bolivia.
  • 1969 – The opening rally of the Days of Rage occurs, organized by the Weather Underground in Chicago.
  • 1970 – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wins the Nobel Prize in literature.
  • 1973 – Yom Kippur War: Israel loses more than 150 tanks in a failed attack on Egyptian-occupied positions.
  • 1973 – Spyros Markezinis begins his 48-day term as prime minister in an abortive attempt to lead Greece to parliamentary rule.
  • 1974 – Franklin National Bank collapses due to fraud and mismanagement; at the time it is the largest bank failure in the history of the United States.
  • 1978 – Australia's Ken Warby sets the current world water speed record of 275.97 knots at Blowering Dam, Australia.
  • 1982 – Poland bans Solidarity and all other trade unions.
  • 1982 – After its London premiere, Cats opens on Broadway and runs for nearly 18 years before closing on September 10, 2000.
  • 1990 – First Intifada: Israeli police kill 17 Palestinians and wound over 100 near the Dome of the Rock.
  • 1991 – Upon the expiration of the Brioni Agreement, Croatia and Slovenia sever all official relations with Yugoslavia.
  • 2001 – A twin engine Cessna and a Scandinavian Airlines System jetliner collide in heavy fog during takeoff from Milan, Italy, killing 118 people.
  • 2001 – U.S. President George W. Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.
  • 2005 – The 7.6 Mw  Kashmir earthquake leaves 86,000–87,351 people dead, 69,000–75,266 injured, and 2.8 million homeless.
  • 2014 – Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person in the United States to be diagnosed with Ebola, dies.
  • 2016 – In the wake of Hurricane Matthew, the death toll rises to nearly 900.
  • 2019 – About 200 Extinction Rebellion activists block the gates of Leinster House (parliament) in the Republic of Ireland.
  • 2020 – Second Nagorno-Karabakh War: Azerbaijan twice deliberately targeted the Church of the Holy Savior Ghazanchetsots of Shusha.
Timo, if your birthday is today, then I congratulate you and wish you all the best!
If you want to remember Politkovskaya, then she is not the politician who is remembered in Russia.

jj2007

Quote from: Mikl__ on October 08, 2022, 06:15:01 PMIf you want to remember Politkovskaya, then she is not the politician who is remembered in Russia.

Putin is popular in Russia, and we understand there are good reasons for that. However, in civilised countries you deal in civilised ways with your political opponents.

daydreamer

I just heard news about Putin 70year birthday,got some present from Belarus and greeting from Kim,while one western artist made horrible statue of him
Jochen do you mean like satire like British "spitting images"? And opponent of bozo mean comments after his excuse for partygate?
I guess it won't work get rid of opponents that way in Russia, Boris jeltsin instead got vodka named after him
Finnish PM Sanna marin got away with party videos
I agree with her statement something like PM are also people who need to have fun
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

jj2007

Quote from: daydreamer on October 08, 2022, 10:25:09 PMJochen do you mean like satire like British "spitting images"?

For example :thumbsup:

Mikl__

Ciao, jj2007!
QuotePutin is popular in Russia
It was about Politkovskaya, but for some reason you remembered Putin? Politkovskaya was shooted 16 years ago, but for some reason I can't remember anything about the good ideas Politkovskaya said or Politkovskaya's good deeds. How many names do you remember of the italian presidents or italian prime ministers who have ruled Italy over the past 20 years? I only remember Berlusconi. Why? Do you remember many deputies of italian parliament?

jj2007

My dear friend Mikl, I will remember every single journalist who was murdered. No discussion.

daydreamer

My birthday is Thursday
my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

zedd151

Quote from: daydreamer on October 17, 2022, 06:11:19 PM
My birthday is Thursday
Magnus. First Happy Bithday. But didn't you read any of the posts here? Not a very celebratory tone to them.

daydreamer

Quote from: zedd151 on October 17, 2022, 07:02:25 PM
Quote from: daydreamer on October 17, 2022, 06:11:19 PM
My birthday is Thursday
Magnus. First Happy Bithday. But didn't you read any of the posts here? Not a very celebratory tone to them.
isnt it time to turn something bad into something good,birthdays suppose to be happy day
I always try to cheer up the co-worker who come in unhappy,so work group is a happy group otherwise one person can bring down the mood of the whole group
or other kind of group
my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
Like SIMD coding

zedd151

Quite right, Magnus.  :eusa_dance:
Good idea to turn this ill-titled topic into the (un)official birthday thread.