News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

OllyDbg question

Started by jj2007, October 15, 2022, 10:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Somehow it seems Olly (version 2) gets slower and slower when loading an executable. The reason: it loads an awful lot of udd files, and that takes about 3-5 seconds.

Has Windows become more bloated? I have a dedicated udd folder, and it holds 27 files with a total of 55MB.

Is there any trick to speed up the loading of an executable?

NoCforMe

... and in a related question, just what is a .udd file anyhow? I do notice dozens of them being loaded when I use Olly.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

jj2007

OLLYDBG.HLP:
QuoteOllyDbg is strongly module-oriented. Module is the main executable file (usually with extension .EXE) or dynamic-link library (usually .DLL) loaded either on startup or dynamically on request. During debugging session you set breakpoints, define new labels and comment assembler commands. When some module unloads from the memory, Debugger saves this information to file with the same name as the debugged module and extension .UDD (stays for User-Defined Data). Next time when OllyDbg loads this module, it automatically restores all debugging information, no matter which program uses this module. Suppose you are debugging Myprog1 that uses Mydll and set some breakpoints in Mydll. Then you start debugging Myprog2 that also makes use of Mydll - and all breakpoints in Mydll are still here, even if Mydll loads on different location!

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on October 15, 2022, 10:56:46 AM
Use ollydbg 1.10  :tongue:  I've tried v.2, but would rather use v1.10 myself.
In fact ollydbg 1.10 is one of the few programs I keep in my OS backup. Masm32 of course, resed, opera browser, and a handful of others. Anything else, I install as needed.  :biggrin:

zedd151

Also olly v2 analyses all the .dlls called from the program being debugged, and stores a udd file for each one. And yes if you are running Windows 10/11 those OSs are becoming more bloated.
Have you tried xdbg32/64?

Vortex

Hi Jochen,

QuoteIs there any trick to speed up the loading of an executable?

Maybe not a very practical solution but could you try to use a Ramdisk like Imdisk?

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

Shintaro

Quote from: jj2007 on October 15, 2022, 10:56:46 AM
Somehow it seems Olly (version 2) gets slower and slower when loading an executable. The reason: it loads an awful lot of udd files, and that takes about 3-5 seconds.

Has Windows become more bloated? I have a dedicated udd folder, and it holds 27 files with a total of 55MB.

Not sure which version of Windows you are using, but windows has always been bloated. Have you tried Chris Titus Debloater for Windows 10?Honestly, sometimes I think Jabba the Hut has decided to live on my Win 10 install.
"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

jj2007

Quote from: Shintaro on October 16, 2022, 01:15:42 AMHave you tried Chris Titus Debloater for Windows 10?

Looks interesting, thanks. Right now I am still on Win7...

greenozon

OllyDbg ver 1 has dozens of proven bugs
so ver 2 is the last stable fixed version that worth attention, IMHO
you could use the test app made by Oleh to validate this all..

https://prnt.sc/E440Nv58gywT

morgot

Sorry for the bad English

jj2007

Quote from: morgot on October 30, 2022, 08:51:32 AM
Use x64dbg, olly is dead

If you can show me how to convince x32Dbg to show me the symbols in the attached exe, I may give it another try (there are no pdb or ilk files - no problem for Olly)

fearless

I use the https://github.com/ThunderCls/xAnalyzer plugin

zedd151

Is there also a 64 bit version of that plug-in, fearless?

hutch--

:biggrin:

JJ,

> Is there any trick to speed up the loading of an executable?

Yes but you won't like it, get yourself a great big ugly fast desktop full of CPU hoot, lots of memory, many cores and some decent large storage and many of the things you complain about will magically disappear.

For my DEV box, I am using legacy hardware, a 6 core i7 clocked up to 4 gig, 64 gig of memory and about 30tb of storage and most things load in a "blink". Keep your laptop for travelling in the train, sitting in the park or drinking cappucino at a cafe.

jj2007

Quote from: fearless on October 30, 2022, 12:48:26 PM
I use the https://github.com/ThunderCls/xAnalyzer plugin

And that's better because...?

Quote from: hutch-- on October 30, 2022, 05:43:43 PM> Is there any trick to speed up the loading of an executable?

Yes but you won't like it

I can confirm that, I don't like it :thumbsup: