News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Going back to Windows 7 from 10: how?

Started by NoCforMe, November 04, 2022, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

My Windows 7 computer blew up. I got a decent used one for $cheap, but it has Windows 10, which I hate more than any other OS I've every used. So I want to "downgrade" to 7.

I confess I don't know exactly what I need to do this. Looking on eBay, I found a bunch of Windows 7 discs for sale. Most of them require that you have a product key, which I don't since the old system was secondhand to me. But there are some that include a product key, like this one. Will this work? Can I boot my Windows 10 system with this disk and install 7? (The disc comes with a "non-working hard drive" which came with the original package, but which you don't need to install the OS.)

I'm wondering because this is what it says on the outside of the package:

The software is intended for preinstallation on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM pre-installation tools. For information about using OEM pre-installation tools, see [Microsoft web site].

Obviously I don't have any of these "OEM pre-installation tools". Will I be able to just put this disc in my DVD drive and go?

I was thinking maybe I could reformat the primary hard drive and then install: will the computer boot off of the installation CD? or do I not need to go to this extreme?
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

Shintaro

You could try something like Linux Mate. and use a Virtual Machine for Windows programming.If you don't want to, that's cool.
You can find windows ISO images and serial number on the internet. Yes, there is a risk, but you are installing Win 7, a 13 year old OS, so putting it on the internet would be a mistake.
There are people selling the serial keys on eBay, but again you don't know how many times they have sold the same license.
I am not sure if you can still buy a license of Win 7 from M$, but that would be the safest way, but most likely the most exspensive.
Yes, the Win 7 disk should boot, so then I suggest that you remove the partitions and install win 7.
The OEM software is for brand name PC's like Dell, etc so it will not install on a non-dell machine.
A standard version of Windows will install on most hardware, but the drivers will be required to make things nicer.

"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

NoCforMe

Aaaaaaargh, forgot about drivers. Computah is a Dell, but again I have no OEM stuff. Isn't the OS install smart enough to figure out what it needs and copy it?* Seems like all that stuff is pretty well known.

And I really do not want to mess w/Linux (or any *nix for that matter), thank you very much.

* I will say that Windows 10 is a lot smarter than preceding versions. I forget exactly what I was doing, but the OS "filled in the blanks" for me while setting something up, a shortcut or startup item or some such.

Shintaro

Yea, that pre-installation is for the OS already installed on the Hard Disk. You get to make only ONE backup and once you have done that, It's done, so it will not install again. But I think it also relies on a hidden partition.
It depends on the hardware whether or not Win 7 will have the drivers. At any point though you would be better off looking for the latest drivers.
What is the hardware or Dell model No?

On a side note, I personally like the Dell OptiPlex GX280 and Latitude 610, but only for retro stuff.
I am sorry, but I don't know how much you know about computers, so if I say something that seems simplistic, I am not being condescending.

hutch--

David,

If you can get hold of Win10 pro, its a lot better version that the home version and if you hunt around the legal cheap licences for it, you can generally get it for peanuts. In the last year I installed my own 64 bit Win7 ultimate retail on one of the Xeon boxes and it ran, but in comparison to win 10, it was old, slow and toothless. In particular, the graphics were poor in comparison.

NoCforMe

Quote from: Shintaro on November 04, 2022, 03:29:15 PM
On a side note, I personally like the Dell OptiPlex GX280 and Latitude 610, but only for retro stuff.

it's a Dell OptiPlex-[something]. Don't know how to find out stuff about the computer in Windows 10. Or do I need to run someone's utility to do this? (I want model, processor, stepping, etc.)

I am sorry, but I don't know how much you know about computers, so if I say something that seems simplistic, I am not being condescending.

I know enough to get into trouble. (insert smiley emoji here)

No, I appreciate that; you have no way of knowing who you're "talking" to here. No offense taken. (I do know a lot about computers in general, but haven't kept up at all with specific hardware for the last, oh, 10 years or so, so pretty ignorant of all the bells and whistles.)

zedd151

First thing, scour the internet for necessary drivers. See if they are available for Windows 7 for your computer. Get a hold of an unmodifed Windows 7 service pack 1 "install.wim" file inside the installation ISO file. Also need a copy of WinPE.iso to install the OS with DISM.EXE (in the WinPE.iso). You should be able to find an install script on the net for install using Dism.exe. Then use Device Manager to install the drivers.
For the os install ISO file (contains install.wim) try searching archive.org "software collections" for windows 7 sp1.

Optionally burn the ISO to DVD and install the more proper way, but that takes longer. You will have a version that works fully for 30 days without key. edited to remove advice on 'activating'. You're smart, you'll know what to do. I can't suggest anything that would violate the rulez.

Otherwise you could embrace Windows 10 and learn its quirks. I couldn't, and immediately hunted down windows 7 ISO file soon after I got my present two boxes. (But I do have Windows 10 handy for when needed)

Shintaro

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 04, 2022, 03:55:23 PM
it's a Dell OptiPlex-[something]. Don't know how to find out stuff about the computer in Windows 10. Or do I need to run someone's utility to do this? (I want model, processor, stepping, etc.)

Normally there is a sticker on the bottom/back of the case. It may even be on the motherboard.
Once that information is in hand, you just enter that in the support page on the Dell site and it will give you all the drivers.

Or try THIS from Dell.

zedd151

Quote from: Shintaro on November 04, 2022, 04:30:55 PM
Normally there is a sticker on the bottom/back of the case. It may even be on the motherboard.
Once that information is in hand, you just enter that in the support page on the Dell site and it will give you all the drivers.
My experience with this is that often, the complete set of drivers no longer available from both Dell and HP for older models. Some drivers only maybe. That's from experience. You may have better luck.

Shintaro

Quote from: zedd151 on November 04, 2022, 04:39:39 PM
My experience with this is that often, the complete set of drivers no longer available from both Dell and HP for older models. Some drivers only maybe. That's from experience. You may have better luck.
That's odd, because I have had the opposite experience.

For example, my Dell Latitude 610 has the drivers as far back as 2005 HERE

Then there is the Vogons Driver Library HERE.

zedd151

@shintaro hmmm... okay. You obviously had a better experience than me with that or I missed something when I was in need. And the driver library, that's a good tip  :thumbsup: . I hadn't known about that.

Shintaro

Quote from: zedd151 on November 04, 2022, 04:49:28 PM
@shintaro hmmm... okay. You obviously had a better experience than me with that or I missed something when I was in need. And the driver library, that's a good tip  :thumbsup: . I hadn't known about that.
Mate, we all miss things. That's why the forums are here. Someone will always pick up something that is missed.

Just so people know I run Arch Linux and different virtual software (VMware Workstation, Virtualbox, QEMU/KVM), depending on how I find it runs an OS or software the best. So if you think I can help...

I don't particularly like Windows, but the majority of people use it and that is where the jobs are. Actually, I hate all Apple products.

daydreamer

David, hope you not are unlucky finding out non existing drivers for newer hardware
Like I did when replace gfx card on my old xp,because the old one stopped working,only produced garbage on screen,the new one found no xp, drivers xp too old
Good luck
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

jj2007

YMMV

Here are benchmarks comparing Win7 to Win10. The table says Win10 is 3% slower on average, not a big deal; and the author confesses to be a Win7 fan, so he obviously has no incentive to cheat in favour of Win10.

Check https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-10-11-disable-telemetry

Shintaro

The problem with using old hardware with Win 10 is the support.
For example, a video card might not have win10 drivers and Win10 (I think) only supports video cards that are DirectX 9 and above compliant. So you might only get basic functionality.

Maybe, a win 8 driver might work.
In terms of running Win 10 on old hardware, I would strongly suggest de-bloating Win10 (Use the script by Chris Titus). It should free up resources.