Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Going back to Windows 7 from 10: how?

Started by NoCforMe, November 04, 2022, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shintaro

Quote from: greenozon on November 15, 2022, 12:33:57 AM
Are there any (un)official post SP1 W7 update package (11 years accumulated in one installer)?

You just need to search for Windows 7 Rollup.
There is one HERE. but as it is not MS....caveat emptor
"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

NoCforMe

So that "roll-up" (never heard that term applied to other than rolling joints before) includes, what? every update, patch, "oops" that Micr$oft issued for Win7 since SP1?

And it's only 8.9 TB!

What, if anything, in that horrid mess would I actually need? I really don't care about "chrome" updates (ones that make transparency effects better, or whooshing opening and closing animations, or other such nonsense). Security updates? I've got antivirus going (AVG, the least bad one I've used so far), so do I really need them?
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

Shintaro

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 15, 2022, 11:23:48 AM
So that "roll-up" (never heard that term applied to other than rolling joints before) includes, what? every update, patch, "oops" that Micr$oft issued for Win7 since SP1?

And it's only 8.9 TB!

What, if anything, in that horrid mess would I actually need? I really don't care about "chrome" updates (ones that make transparency effects better, or whooshing opening and closing animations, or other such nonsense). Security updates? I've got antivirus going (AVG, the least bad one I've used so far), so do I really need them?

Ah, mate, that's the total download for everyone that has downloaded it.

The actual downloads are:

476.9 Mb Win 7 (64 Bit)

316 Mb Win 7 (32 Bit)

NoCforMe

Oops ... probably ought to read what's written there next time ...

Shintaro

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 15, 2022, 12:12:43 PM
Oops ... probably ought to read what's written there next time ...
All good mate.  :thumbsup:
We are all here to help each other.
I screw up on a daily basis.

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 15, 2022, 11:23:48 AMSo that "roll-up" (never heard that term applied to other than rolling joints before)
Roll your own type cigarettes too.  :tongue:
When you still want to smoke cigarettes but don't want to pay a load of taxes to buy a pack ($13 dollars in Chicago two years ago) versus $5 dollars for a pouch of (Bugler and others) tobacco and rolling papers. You can get up to 30 (skinny) smokes out of it.  :biggrin:

To be on topic, I never used or needed anything other than plain old Windows 7 (with service pack 1) no updates thank you very much. And using Opera is a pain in the arse sometimes with their refusal to open some webpages unless clicking on "Proceed to....". Others it refuses to load at all. I'm kinda used to it anymore.

Shintaro

Quote from: zedd151 on November 15, 2022, 12:22:39 PM
Roll your own type cigarettes too.  :tongue:
When you still want to smoke cigarettes but don't want to pay a shitload of taxes to buy a pack ($13 dollars in Chicago two years ago) versus $5 dollars for a pouch of (Bugler and others) tobacco and rolling papers. You can get up to 30 (skinny) smokes out of it.  :biggrin:

I think tobacco in Australia is now something crazy like $80 or $100 AUD. I have never smoked, but every now and then I'll look just to see the financial bullet that I missed.

Quote from: zedd151 on November 15, 2022, 12:22:39 PM
[To be on topic, I never used or needed anything other than plain old Windows 7 (with service pack 1) no updates thank you very much. And using Opera is a pain in the arse sometimes with their refusal to open some webpages unless clicking on "Proceed to....". Others it refuses to load at all. I'm kinda used to it anymore.

Guessing...If the web pages are not loading that might be to do with SSL encryption.

But also some AV (Anti-virus) software create a proxy, so that the web pages pass through a filter, to protect you (so they say), and then are displayed in the browser.

Also, not having any patches on the system after SP1 could open you up to an automated attack where your computer becomes part of a bot network, if the computer is directly connected to the Internet.

NoCforMe

Quote from: zedd151 on November 15, 2022, 12:22:39 PMAnd using Opera is a pain in the arse sometimes with their refusal to open some webpages unless clicking on "Proceed to....". Others it refuses to load at all. I'm kinda used to it anymore.

OK, this is exactly the problem I'm having. See attached screen capture. You seem to be familiar with this problem. (Ironically, it happens on every single Micro$oft site I try to visit, but never on this site or others that it flags as "Not secure". And if you try to go somewhere anyway, chances are you'll get a screwed up view of the site: no images, or it won't load stylesheets or Javascript and the site'll be completely crippled.)

The thing is, Opera doesn't necessarily have to suffer this issue. On my previous computer with Windows 7, Opera never gave me grief over this. It worked fine. There's some setting, either in the OS (Internet Explorer has the same issue on my system) or in Opera itself that's causing the problem. From a little online searching, the issue seems to be with site certificates, which Opera is rejecting as invalid. So I need to find out what settings are screwed up and fix them. Anyone here have any clues?

(And oddly, Firefox works fine. I don't like FF though.)

Edited = Language

Shintaro

zedd151

I just installed Google Chrome browser (again) and it does not behave as Opera does. The sites I have tried it on all load fine, without any issues. I like Opera too; but since I am tired of those certificate issues I think I'll keep using Chrome until Opera's development team gets their sh!t together.  :undecided:  Oh, and by installing Chrome I DO NOT HAVE TO INSTALL ANY FURTHER UPDATE packages.  :biggrin:  ... Now on to make a new OS backup with Chrome as the default browser.  :sad:

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 15, 2022, 12:57:23 PM
On my previous computer with Windows 7, Opera never gave me grief over this. It worked fine....
Do you remember the version number (The one that worked) by any chance? But then again, I'm not sure if older versions are still available. I've given up on twiddling Operas settings trying to find a solution there. But still could be a setting that needs tweaking, I just haven't found it yet.  :tongue:

NoCforMe

Quote from: Shintaro on November 15, 2022, 01:02:08 PM

Try this HERE

Root certificate error KB is HERE.

Bingo! Works fine now. I owe you one. Bottle of scotch? some reefers?

So I guess I did need at least one Windows update ...

NoCforMe

Quote from: zedd151 on November 15, 2022, 02:26:42 PM
I've given up on twiddling Operas settings trying to find a solution there. But still could be a setting that needs tweaking, I just haven't found it yet.  :tongue:

See Shintaro's solution above. It's what you need.

Shintaro

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 15, 2022, 03:28:09 PM
Quote from: Shintaro on November 15, 2022, 01:02:08 PM

Try this HERE

Root certificate error KB is HERE.

Bingo! Works fine now. I owe you one. Bottle of scotch? some reefers?

So I guess I did need at least one Windows update ...

All good mate, so long as it works.  :thumbsup:

hutch--

Now to improve your browsing experience, have a look at "Slimjet". A clone of Chrome without the telemetry. genuinely fast and it worked on Win7 64.