Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Going back to Windows 7 from 10: how?

Started by NoCforMe, November 04, 2022, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on November 28, 2022, 05:28:01 PM

I tried reducing monitor resolution, next step down (1280x1024). Things looked better, but the damn taskbar was below the screen!!! Couldn't access it. Forget that.

I was able to get things looking pretty much OK @ 125% font size, except that with that "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling" thing checked, font placement was screwy in some apps. So I'm at 125% with fuzzy text for now.
For the taskbar problem: The monitors I have seen have a 'Auto Adjust' function accessed by menu using buttons on front of monitor, assuming you are not using an ancient CRT monitor. That should help to center the screen and sharpen the focus as well. Then perhaps setting a lower resolution would yield better results.

FORTRANS

Hi,

I will say that I have used 'Auto Adjust' to fix things when
some screen content is out of view.  Handy feature at times.

Regards,

Steve N.

NoCforMe

Quote from: zedd151 on November 28, 2022, 08:29:54 PM
For the taskbar problem: The monitors I have seen have a 'Auto Adjust' function accessed by menu using buttons on front of monitor, assuming you are not using an ancient CRT monitor. That should help to center the screen and sharpen the focus as well. Then perhaps setting a lower resolution would yield better results.

No. Doesn't work. My monitor indeed has an on-screen adjustment menu, but even with the vertical position maxxed out it won't show the taskbar. I have no idea how to fix that problem, so I just went back to the higher res.

Could it be that I shouldn't be using that higher resolution? that that's what's causing all the trouble? At that resolution and with "normal" text size (100%) selected, everything on screen is just too damn small. I though the OS would simply do scaling based on the normal rendered size of things, but maybe not?
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

learn64bit

Last year, My monitor is a 43inch 720p TV....
This year my notebook pc have a 17inch 1080p screen
My sister have a 4.3inch 4k phone, unbelievable

greenozon

daydreamer

any avx 256bit or avx 512bit,restriction if I want code for something that still work with w7?

I thought of philosophical question,if a 90year old with very bad eyesight goes into a electronics store salesman convince him to buy latest 8k tv,but when comes home and play 8k tv on it ,too bad sight to notice the difference between old tv so s/he is fooled by salesman
isnt that a probable thing that gonna happen to people ? :tongue:
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

greenozon

Yet another sad news...
https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/185534985/sunsetting-support-for-windows-7-8-8-1-in-early-2023?hl=en

learn64bit

jj2007

Quote from: greenozon on November 30, 2022, 05:18:01 AM
Yet another sad news...
https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/185534985/sunsetting-support-for-windows-7-8-8-1-in-early-2023?hl=en

QuoteChrome 109 is the last version of Chrome that will support Windows 7

I am crying bitterly now. Fortunately, MS Edge still does its job :cool:

zedd151

Quote from: greenozon on November 30, 2022, 05:18:01 AM
Yet another sad news...
Keep the current installer (that still works for 7/8). Don't connect to the internet during installation. Find a way to disable the auto update 'feature'? Opera and others (Firefox, etc.) will probably follow at some point.  :undecided:

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on November 30, 2022, 08:01:34 AMDon't connect to the internet during installation.

Do you think Chrome will install the latest version and then greet the user with "Sorry, I can't run on this machine"?

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on November 30, 2022, 08:13:10 AM
Quote from: zedd151 on November 30, 2022, 08:01:34 AMDon't connect to the internet during installation.

Do you think Chrome will install the latest version and then greet the user with "Sorry, I can't run on this machine"?
I dunno, but very possible. I use Opera these days.

hutch--

:biggrin:

Sad to say guys, this is the legacy of using an old and out of date OS version. I ditched Win7 64 Ultimate for performance reasons and suffered the long BETA stage of Win10 64 pro but I can run anything well and have none of these update problems.

zedd151

Quote from: hutch-- on November 30, 2022, 09:12:01 AM
I ditched Win7 64 Ultimate for performance reasons...  ...Win10 64 pro... and have none of these update problems.
As an alternative there's always ubuntu or other Linux flavor.  :tongue:  With their own bugs features.  :biggrin:
For this problem and many others, there's always another way... without installing the bloated monstrosity that is Windows 10/11  :badgrin:

hutch--

Z,

I am using legacy hardware, a 2016 i7 but I have it in a big enough setup to have no problems with Win10 64 bit pro. Clocked the CPU at 4 gig and with 64 gig of memory, it runs like a rocket. Certainly not as fast as some of the later CPUs but you won't grow old waiting for things to get done.

For big tasks, I have a number of Intel Xeons that can handle many cores and threads but this old i7 is a good machine to develop on, thats why I use it.

You only get problems from running not only older but much smaller hardware.