News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Going back to Windows 7 from 10: how?

Started by NoCforMe, November 04, 2022, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

Well, I just don't care: Windows 7 is fine for me, don't need to advance anywhere beyond it. Now if Opera drops support for it, I still have this version of their browser which I'll continue to use, so again, don't care. Just so long as they don't "upgrade" to HTML 13 and break all previous versions ... no, they couldn't do that. Even Micro$oft has to jump through hoops to make sure they don't break legacy software that people still use.

One thing I will say about Windows 10: it's a hell of a lot smarter about installing and configuring stuff. Like printers: I plugged in my HP Laserjet 2100M (a 20-year-old unit) into a USB port and it recognized it and installed all the needed stuff. Windows 7 not so much: I actually am using a driver for a different printer (LJ 2200) which works fine (all I need anyhow is the PCL5 support), but the install process was a lot less seamless under 7. Oh, well.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

greenozon

I bet they (Chrome et al) will just start using brand new stupdi scheme for system dlls like api-ms-win-core-****

eg python went that cruel way and you can't install ver 3.10+ anymore...
https://discuss.python.org/t/windows-7-support-for-python-3-9-or-3-10-without-a-fork/13842

stupid crazy B.S. marketing

2) isn't Opera using chromium engine already many years ...?
or you sitll using Opera 12.x??? (native Opera engine)

daydreamer

android versions have funny names,like "kitkat" OS,you could also end up with hardware combined with old Android OS version make apps doesnt work properly
might need to keep Android device hidden from chocolate lovers :tongue:
I suspect intel and AMD have got inspired by these names and used project names like "whiskylake cpu" and "coffeelake cpu"  :greenclp:
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

zedd151

In regards to web browsers, is anyone running windows 7 with MS Edge web browser? I am currently running Opera browser but as mentioned in this thread it has problems with site certificates. Before I install Edge I would like to hear from anyone that runs Edge on Windows 7. Specifically in regards to site certificates. Any issues? Chrome doesn't have these issues either, but as with other Google products it is very intrusive and collects a huge amount of user data which I don't care for and would have to wade through dozens of settings to turn off those things that can be turned off. (Not all can, asfaics)
Of course Edge probably collects user data as well, but I don't know at this point.

jj2007

Hi NoCForMe,
Here is one more reason to consider Win10: W7's RichEdit implementation is buggy.

Quote from: zedd151 on December 10, 2022, 03:31:10 AM
In regards to web browsers, is anyone running windows 7 with MS Edge web browser?

Yes, meself. I tried FireFox and SlimJet and others, and it turns out Edge is not that bad. Fast and slightly less memory-hungry than Firefox (I have 6GB installed here on my Win7-64 notebook, it cannot hold more) :cool:

zedd151

Quote from: zedd151 on December 10, 2022, 03:31:10 AM
In regards to web browsers, is anyone running windows 7 with MS Edge web browser?
I am now currently installing Microsoft Edge web browser. After it finishes installing, I'll give it a whirl...

zedd151

Well, that went over like a lead balloon:
QuoteUnable to connect to the internet. If you use a firewall, please allowlist MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe.
Hrrrmphhh! I AM connected to the internet, and not firewalled.   :badgrin:   Damn MS!

zedd151

Okay, I located a standalone installer for MS Edge. And here I am. I will use this over the next few days to see if it is a good enough replacement for Opera. (On Windows 7 64 bit)

One caveat worth mentioning...
Each time I open Edge, I am greeted with a message bar with:
QuoteTo get future Microsoft Edge updates, you'll need Windows 10 or later.
I want to reply with "Do you promise?"  :tongue:  For now this (Edge) looks okay... No certificate issues as with Opera, and all the sites I checked display properly as well (unlike with Opera). Now I have to wade through the settings to see what else needs to be turned off. I have turned off a few things already.

A few minutes later...
Hold the phone... Well, going to Mirosofts own website for Edge extensions a security warning popped up and page not displayed properly.  :undecided:  Dammit!

jj2007

Strange, no such problems here, Windows 7-64, too :cool:

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on December 11, 2022, 08:40:43 AM
Strange, no such problems here, Windows 7-64, too :cool:
Odd that.  :undecided:  At any rate, not a show stopper. Always another way. Now lemme teleport back to 2006, before all this newfangled MS crap.  :biggrin:

hutch--

:biggrin:

Returning back to the middle ages when the black death ravaged Europe, pilgrims took to self flagellation to repent of their sins so as to spare themselves from the effects of the black death. It didn't work and they died like the rest but HAY, it really made them feel bad but released the guilt of their sins.  :tongue:

Tsk tsk, OH it hurts, do it again !

Reversion back to Win7 64 is like the pilgrims of old, repenting of their sins.

Tsk tsk, OH it hurts, do it again !  :rofl: :skrewy: :tongue:

zedd151

Quote from: zedd151 on December 11, 2022, 06:49:30 AM
I am now currently installing Microsoft Edge web browser. After it finishes installing, I'll give it a whirl...
Okay, enough of that. I would rather keep using Opera as I am used to it. Even the forementioned issues. I can live with it.

zedd151

Quote from: hutch-- on December 11, 2022, 10:17:29 AM
Reversion back to Win7 64 is like ...

Actually, you are incorrect. I actually upgraded from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit.  :tongue:
I got tired of reinstalling 64 bit just to take a quick look at others' 64 bit projects even though that (reinstall OS) only takes 10 minutes or less. (I don't want to dual boot)

I only keep Windows 10 64 bit around for when I absolutely (begrudgingly) need it.  :badgrin:

greenozon

What Opera ver are you using?
https://get.opera.com/pub/opera/
there are dozens of editions wow!
what was a time
does anyone remmeber that day when Opera browser was a paid one? :)

TimoVJL

Vivaldi is lighter chrome version and it works in Windows 7.

Meet Vivaldi Browser
May the source be with you