News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Journey into AVX-512

Started by w_r_rose, January 22, 2023, 03:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w_r_rose

For the past several months I have been cutting my teeth on AVX2 for a quaternion and octonion math library and now have finally acquired a laptop with an i7-11800H processor as my goal is to become proficient with AVX-512. Does anyone know of any good github or other repos/sites for AVX-512 that go beyond the basics? Side note, it is very sad that Intel dropped AVX-512 from 12th gen and newer consumer chips regardless of what Linus' opinion may be. One has to ask, how can a developer with a newer laptop/desktop get proficient in AVX-512 with only the Xeon server chips now fully supporting it...

hutch--

I don't think Intel was satisfied with its implementation of AVX512. I would imagine that being stuck with AVX2 is not that great a burden and I imagine over time Intel will add more features to their later versions. Some of their current technology with different core types is clever stuff, the main problem with their later high end CPUs is temperature but I imagine a technology to reduce power consumption will be available over time.

I am happy to use Haswell era Xeons as they support up to AVX2.

InfiniteLoop

Quote from: w_r_rose on January 22, 2023, 03:08:35 PM
For the past several months I have been cutting my teeth on AVX2 for a quaternion and octonion math library and now have finally acquired a laptop with an i7-11800H processor as my goal is to become proficient with AVX-512. Does anyone know of any good github or other repos/sites for AVX-512 that go beyond the basics? Side note, it is very sad that Intel dropped AVX-512 from 12th gen and newer consumer chips regardless of what Linus' opinion may be. One has to ask, how can a developer with a newer laptop/desktop get proficient in AVX-512 with only the Xeon server chips now fully supporting it...

AMD Zen 4 supports AVX512 and has existed for some time now.  :rolleyes: