News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

QEditor plugin: most recently used files

Started by jj2007, December 29, 2022, 11:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on December 30, 2022, 10:38:52 PMI see an MRU as a waste of time

I know, Hutch. If you find one in this list that does not feature an MRU, I will delete the attachment at the top of this thread and apologise solemnly to all bare metal fans - promised :cool:

QuoteComparison of the best Coding Software
#1) UltraEdit
#2) Atom
#3) Sublime Text
#4) Notepad++
#5) Brackets
#6) Visual Studio Code
#7) Vim
#8) Bluefish
#9) TextMate
#10) TextWrangler

P.S.: We are at version 6 now. It is now configurable, see \Masm32\plugins\QeMru.cfg:

useAbout    =1   add the MRU menu to the menu bar
useFilter   =1   use the *.asm filter for the Open menu
useAdjWin   =1   adjust the QE window (once, and only if it's not maximised) to see more code
seeMessages =0   on startup, launch the WM_* messages watcher

The latter is for educational purposes. It might also help in developing own editors or plugins.

zedd151

When you didn't address in words my suggestion from my last post, I thought that you weren't going to do anything about. I was pleased to see that you did indeed address my concerns in your .cfg file.  :thumbsup:

bra·vis·si·mo !
/bräˈvisəmō/

exclamation
used to express great approval ...

Now the plugin is ready for the masses (but not them arses  :tongue: ) even some (perhaps not all though) longtime qeditor users will be happy with what you have done here. It's usually better to not alter the original characteristics of a program when adding functionality, imo. This last plugin version is a great improvement in acheiving that goal.  :thup: 
Plus the added settings editor and MRU editor are good additions. Isn't RichMasm going to get jealous of you spending so much time and effort on another editor (basically cheating on it) especially one that she (RichMasm) doesn't like  :tongue:  ?

The cfg settings that makes me happy: (less changes to qeditors behaviour)  :eusa_dance:
;----------------------------------------------------
useAbout    =1 ; for MRU editor and cfg editor
useFilter   =0
useAdjWin   =0
seeMessages =0

;----------------------------------------------------

hutch--

If you have your list of editor as you reference, you have my condolences. QE is by design, a MULTI-INSTANCE editor where most of your list are big slow single instance pigs.

#1) UltraEdit
#2) Atom
#3) Sublime Text
#4) Notepad++
#5) Brackets
#6) Visual Studio Code
#7) Vim
#8) Bluefish
#9) TextMate
#10) TextWrangler

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on December 31, 2022, 12:27:09 PMQE is by design, a MULTI-INSTANCE editor

So is RichMasm, but it does have a MRU list.

On top of this thread, I added a tool that activates the MRU list plugin whenever the user starts a new QE instance. You may use regedit to add it manually to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (I don't fumble the registry programmatically) :cool:

hutch--

Let me do the contrast for you, QE has user programmable menus, its own script engine, its small by editor standards, it is genuinely fast, even as a 32 bit app, it will load over 100 meg, it has its own plugin interface, a list of text processing functions etc etc etc ........

I hope you are pleased with your unusual editor but you have nothing to sell me here and I make the point that I am not interested in your suggestions, add to your own, anything you like but forget trying to impose lousy design on me, QE will never have what you are after, no technicolor, no non standard interface, no RTF, no MasmBasic, just a pure ASCII editor to code pure MASM in.  :biggrin:

You must be bored at the moment, write a script engine for MasmBasic, do something that will make it better, whatever takes your fancy but forget trying to impose something on me.

zedd151

Forgive me hutch, if I'm out of line but...
Quote from: hutch-- on December 31, 2022, 01:02:28 PM
... QE has ... its own plugin interface ...
Exactly.
Jochen had created a plugin so that qeditor can have an MRU list. You should applaud his effort in creating a plugin that adds functionality that qeditor does not have on its own.
He merely posted it so anyone can use it if they choose to do so.

I rarely if ever have the need for an MRU list myself, but I was willing to help him in debugging it and get it up and running since no one else offered the help. I also offered tips to make the plugin more attractive to users by minimizing what the plugin changes in qeditors behaviour.

He had done that by including a .cfg file for the user to choose whether to use certain options or notSo I don't see what the problem here is.

If you didn't want users to write and release plugins that add functionality to qeditor, then why does qeditor have the plugin interface? If you don't like an MRU list, don't use one. But you shouldn't knock a feature that many other people might find useful. So I am puzzled by your response. My two cents worth.  :toothy:   If it helps at all, I love qeditor. It is always my go-to editor.  :biggrin:

JJ,
As for twiddling with the registry I vote against it myself. Manually activating the plugin works fine as is. :biggrin:

hutch--

Z,

I am tired of being nagged at over and over again to redesign a tool that I am happy with. Design is by choice and QE will never be modified to suit MasmBasic or its assumptions, its a tool in its own right and you may well understand why it will never be made available as i don't want anyone to knife and fork it. It was written back in 2008 in XP and while it has been updated many times, it is still basically the same tool.

The plugin interface was designed to work with QE, not turn it into a crap heap. Over time many have asked why it not like other editors, make it like the Borland IDE, make it like the old VC IDE, make it like UltraEdit and the list goes on and one, its never going to be a mess like Rich MASM's editor, its like QE.

I am very much, each to his own and this allows anyone to write their own but I am tired of hearing how things should be done like RichMasm, if jj is happy with his own editor, fine but any editor that I write will not be crippled by such assumptions.

zedd151

Okay. [zedd steps backwards slowly and steps out the door] sorry 'bout that. No further comments from me about this.