News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Icons for file extension

Started by avcaballero, March 11, 2023, 04:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avcaballero

Hello I have asociated some extensions to the same basic text file editor. I have realized that when I do that, those file extensions are agroupated automatically, so, when I try to change the icon to any of them, all of them are changed, in that way that I can not stablish the icon I want for the correspond file.

The file extensions are asm, bas, c, c++, h, sql

The programs I have used to change the icon file:
  - Default Programs Editor
  - FileTypesMan

I have made the icon files by hand and embeded all in "prgs.dll", that attach, with the program ResourceHacker.

When I change the icon for "*.asm" with "asm.ico", for example, all asm-bas-c-c++-h-sql icon files are changed to "asm.ico".

Any idea of how to do that?

Thank you

HSE

Hi caballero!

What you see is the icon of the application asociated with that extensions.

You don't change the icon for "*.asm", you change the icon of the asociation. 

HSE
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

avcaballero

Hello

However, there are applications that associate different icons to different types of extensions. For example PlanMaker, an excel alike, "pmdx" has a different icon than "xlsx". Some text editor set different icons for different extensions. Ultraedit did it, if I'm not wrong.

HSE

Quote from: caballero on March 11, 2023, 07:09:53 AM
However, there are applications that associate different icons to different types of extensions.

:thumbsup: Also there some applications that can do that, but I have no references :FileTypesMan.

No explanation how that work.

avcaballero

> FileTypesMan

Yes, as I said in the first post, that is one of the applications that I have used to try to do it. The problem is that when you change the icon of an extension opened by a text editor, it changes the icons of all other extensions associated with this editor.

HSE

Apparently the file extension have to include a"persistent handler" code in register. And also a subtype (I'm inventing the name) declaration of the application instead of "auto_file".

In the "subtype" of application you can declare the icon. All this is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

I will try later.  :thumbsup: