Main Menu

release new version of software?

Started by daydreamer, March 24, 2023, 02:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daydreamer

if you started with 1.00 version of software and update with more features
how much should it be upgraded for increment 1.00 to 1.01
how much should it be upgraded for increment 1.00 to 1.10
how much should it be upgraded for 2.00 ?
I recently added extra japanese/english version from english only version
how much for put extra language in software?
how much if if I also add swedish to software?

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

TimoVJL

If it is possible to use resource section and use UNICODE, quite easy, i think, but who knows.
May the source be with you

jj2007

I've given up on version numbering a long time ago. Now it's "version 25 March 23". Clear and non-ambiguous.

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on March 24, 2023, 02:49:24 AM
I've given up on version numbering a long time ago.
:biggrin:  I am notorious for releasing updated software and forgetting to revise the version number. In one of my projects it became a royal pain  "where the sun don't shine" to rerevise the later versions version numbers. Basically turned into a fustercluck...  :toothy:  as some versions were released with wrong version numbers so when bug chasing became a nightmare as to which version XXX.xxx had the bugs.

jj2007

Firefox was near version 100 when I last checked - that's nonsense. My RichMasm versions are what the executable's time stamp says (currently 15.3.23). Plus, when you hit F9, it tells you more.

Re bug chasing: for my more important sources my IDE uses a rolling backup system. Once a day it creates an archive if (and only if) I changed something, so that I can go back up to 7 versions until I find a correct one.

Extremely useful for bug chasing: Micros*t Word! Open the source in Word, then go to Tools/Compare and merge versions, and compare to the last good version. You see immediately what you changed.

daydreamer

Timo I deliberately hardcoded data, because I want to make it harder to cheat in quiz
Array of
Struct
String Flowername
String jflowername
String flowermeaning
Easiest is loop read in from text files, if user wants to change to swedish instead
But I keep it simple with good old string (ascii) and a proc that convert to wchar
Can have unicode text files when needed to use unicode character sets,vs editor support to save source file in unicode format if it detects you use unicode characters

JJ when I did research for my SSE tutorial, I felt I must understand SSE with coding SSE experiments too,not just write theory, so only file names had numbering SSEexp 1,2,3,4
Now I documented SSEexp2bak with video, unfinished SSE screensaver,because ddraw is today obsolete
But recent year I name my repo backups same way you do,file folder name example "repo 2022 June"
So I can revert from earlier project folder inside repo folder if things go wrong

Ladybug arcade game proof of female bugs exist  :tongue:

my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

daydreamer

Annoying is all patches released to fix bugs in games
First they release it too early and players kinda "betatest" it
They release patch #1 to fix bugs
They release patch #2 to fix new bugs caused by patch #1
:greenclp:
my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
Like SIMD coding