News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Run command clone with room for 50 commands

Started by Magnum, December 26, 2012, 11:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

I was told that the buffer for the Run command was about 26 "commands" and there was no way to increase it.

I looked into a launcher but it didn't look like what I want.

I am going to look to see if there is a way to have a buffer that could contain up to 50 run commands.

I already have some code for a "key keeper."  :biggrin:

Ideally it would delete duplicate entries so it doesn't contain 3 instances of the same command.

For example I run this a lot, %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Donkey

It's actually an MRU not a buffer. The MRU for the Run command is held in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ RunMRU". It holds a maximum of 26 items since the list is indexed by a single letter for each entry (a..z). There is no way to expand on the MRU list, you will have to write a completely new Run utility. You'll also have to keep in mind that some of the MRU items are not stored in the registry list, for example some web pages are stored in the index.dat file from Internet Explorer. Also there are different execution requirements for different types of files, for a standard executable CreateProcess is fine, for a Control Panel Applet you have to execute the following command line instead "rundll32.exe" shell32,Control_RunDLL "Filename.cpl", for webpages you must open them in the default web browser. All in all a doable project but one that requires a bit of knowledge about different executable types and how to start them and understand the registry and how to read and use registry classes "Open With" entries. Once you write your own there is no real limit to the number of items in the MRU.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

jj2007

Hi Andy,

Have a look at the QikPadPlus thread. Settings and history (99 entries) use local dat files instead of the registry, so you can easily zip and transfer them to another PC.

Cheers,
Jochen

dedndave

the "Run" command box seems to be part of explorer.exe   :P
it doesn't show up in task manager, but it is a child of the desktop window