Author Topic: Have you experienced problems installing masm32 with lousy AV products ?  (Read 15593 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
A perennial problem with the low end of AV software is the generation of false positives with their heuristic scanners. While the high quality end of the AV market rarely ever generates problems of this type, others appear to have never read the Microsoft Portable Executable specifications and attempt to reduce the specification to a subset of what they are able to comprehend.

The MASM32 project over its 10 year history has always been built in an isolated environment from its original source code and it has been installed successfully on millions of computers over that 10 year period without ever having contained a virus or trojan. The example code is supplied in assembler source code format so the content of the binaries that are built from that source code is exhaustively known.

If you have experienced a problem whie installing the MASM32 Project, please report it in this subforum complete with the AV products name, version and any work around or settigs change you have needed to make a successful installation.

AVG has known problems when installing MASM32.
Avira has triggered false positives when installnng MASM32.

Solution, if you cannot set these AV products to avoid false positives, get another one that does.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Vortex

Hi Hutch,

I am using Avira on my development computer. It's true that it catches some executables in the Masm32 folder but the AV does OK in general. I ignore those false positives.

shantanu_gadgil

Hi Hutch,

I am using Avira on my development computer. It's true that it catches some executables in the Masm32 folder but the AV does OK in general. I ignore those false positives.

Same here, I too use AVIRA Free edition on my Home PC. It flags a few binaries which, I too, ignore!  :biggrin:

BTW, this is "my post immediately after signup" !!!  8)

Regards,
Shantanu

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Hi Shantanu, welcome back.  :t
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

CodeDog

Re: Have you experienced problems installing masm32 with lousy AV products ?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »
Avira will detect anything as a virus or trojan. It's obsessed with false warnings. I now use MSE and i've not come across a single false detection yet in a year of usage. Not a single one, ever, not even in my assembly folder. (It could mean the damn AV is not working at all, who knows) lol..

The reason Avira have the highest detection on the market is because it has the highest false detection on the market as well, if you remove false detections, it will become one of the worst detection AV on the market.

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:26:30 AM »
Hi CodeDog,

Avira will detect anything as a virus or trojan. It's obsessed with false warnings. I now use MSE and i've not come across a single false detection yet in a year of usage. Not a single one, ever, not even in my assembly folder. (It could mean the damn AV is not working at all, who knows) lol..

sounds good. It seems that MSE is an alternative. I'll give it a try.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

MIH1406

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
Avast: warns me and stopped the execution for 15 seconds then I could continue what I started without any issues after the completeness of the installation.

Hackeronte

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:28:39 AM »

Downloading masm32v11r.zip from http://website.assemblercode.com/masm32/masm32v11r.zip
And avast! ( ver. 4.8 ) on W2k sp4++ say that:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\install.exe\[Embedded_I#004c50]\examples\Bill_Cravener\tabs\tabs.obj
&
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\install.exe\[Embedded_I#004c50]\examples\Bill_Cravener\tabs\tabs.exe
are infected (Win32:Dorkbot-CJ [Trj])
downloading TrayMen├╝ from Marwins Software: Win32ASM (http://www.codingcrew.de/marty/win32asm.php)
avast! (ver. 4.8 ) on W2k sp4++ say that: TrayMen├╝\TrayMen├╝.exe is infected (Win32:Malware-gen)
I'd like to ask if i Can i safely report them as FALSE POSITVE ???

Thanks in advance & regards
                                                 hackeronte de' bugger

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »
Why not download V11 from the masm32 (this) website, and see if there is a difference.
 ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 07:25:09 AM »
Van - that link is one of the download links from this site

Vortex

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:33:24 AM »
Hi Hackeronte,

About the Masm32 package : it's safe if you download it from the official links. Some AV softwares will report false-positives and you can ignore them. If you are unsure, you can always check Jotti's malware scan :

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
Van - that link is one of the download links from this site
Ohhhh!!..  whoops  :bgrin:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

Cokaric

BitDefender, picture attached...

I am on local library computer and I can't access C:\ path nor disable the AV. Is it possible to make it portable and install it on USB drive?

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
i don't see why you couldn't
the masm32\bin folder does not have to be in the PATH

what is important is that the project you are trying to build is on the same drive as the masm32 folder
...and that the masm32 folder is in the root of that drive

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Dave,
There is somewhere a warning that you can't install Masm32 on a network drive. I've never tried, though.

Other option, from a DOS prompt:

subst D: F:\MyUsbFolder

Then save the installer to D:\ and go ahead....