News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

System Registry CLSID's

Started by Don57, January 05, 2013, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don57

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall the installed programs are listed.
About 25% are stored as CLSID values (Class ID's - COM Class Objects).
After searching the registry, I find multiple locations where I can relate the CLSID to a program or dll name. However I can find no reference by Microsoft as to where the name of the CLSID should be referenced.

japheth

Quote from: Don57 on January 05, 2013, 07:35:54 PM
In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall the installed programs are listed.
About 25% are stored as CLSID values (Class ID's - COM Class Objects).

Actually, these are GUIDs ( globally unique identifiers ). Those things are used to make other things "unique" - hence they are used for CLSIDs or IIDs ... or for keys in the registry just to ensure that the key isn't used yet.

After searching the registry, I find multiple locations where I can relate the CLSID to a program or dll name. However I can find no reference by Microsoft as to where the name of the CLSID should be referenced.

I don't think these GUIDs are used as a reference. Why should they? All information needed for uninstall can be stored quite right there as subkeys/data.

Don57

I need to display the program name in a child window.

Don57

Yea your right, just checked the subkeys, too late at night time to go to bed. Thanks.

dedndave

Tedd

Check each one for a subkey named "DisplayName" - that's the name you should display to the user, not the key name itself; "DisplayVersion" may also be useful.

If DisplayName isn't present then it's most likely a Windows Update patch, with the name in the default value (e.g. "KB2429453"); if that's null, then you'll have to use the key name.
Potato2