News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

difference between 8051 to 8086

Started by DavidZiegler, January 06, 2013, 07:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidZiegler

we started learning 8051 assembly at school and it's pretty easy. is there anything in common between 8051 and 8086?

Gunther

Hi DavidZiegler,

Quote from: DavidZiegler on January 06, 2013, 07:11:25 AM
we started learning 8051 assembly at school and it's pretty easy. is there anything in common between 8051 and 8086?

the only thing common is: both are processors. But the register structure is very different and therefore the assembly language mnemonic, binary encoding etc., too. But never mind, learning Intel based assembly language is always a good idea. You should install the MASM32 package and reading the documentation. That'll give you the right direction. Have a lot of fun and welcome to the forum.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

dedndave

Gunther is right - they are very different
particularly with regard to the different 8051 start-up modes - the x86 family has nothing like that
and, of course the instruction sets and register sets are very different, as well

here is what i found, though
after you have learned a few different processors/controllers, it gets easier to learn new ones   :P

DavidZiegler

the 8051 is extremely easy i hoped it'll help me with the x86. well there's no way but the hard way i guess

Gunther

Hi David,

Quote from: DavidZiegler on January 09, 2013, 08:13:20 AM
the 8051 is extremely easy i hoped it'll help me with the x86. well there's no way but the hard way i guess

yes, exactly. But the way isn't so hard. Download the MASM32 package and read the documentation that'll lead you into the right direction. Have fun.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

hutch--

David,

The nod is x86 assembler is quirky alongside many others, this has been the comments from some of the mainframe old timers and many of the 68k guys but Dave s right, once you get the swing of mnemonic coding in one processor, you will pick up another a lot easier.