Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

When was a program last run

Started by Magnum, January 18, 2013, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CommonTater

Quote from: sinsi on January 18, 2013, 10:03:38 PM
Well, looking at the files in system32, I last accessed them (a few) on the 12th of January, most were last year.
I would imagine that the kernel has better things to do than update the access time when it loads a dll or exe.

Your results might be accurate... It stands to reason that a group of files will be accessed each time the OS starts, a second group will be started by application launches, and a third group will sit dormant being used only rarely. 

Also note there is a Registry Tweak that turns this particular feature of the NTFS operating system off.  It does give a noticeable increase in performance so most "Tweakers" will allow you to turn this off... In which case the newest LastAccess times will reflect when the tweak was enabled.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/50/

To know which is the case, you would need to check if the tweak is active or not before proceeding.

jj2007

Quote from: CommonTater on January 18, 2013, 09:39:09 PM
So, what you're telling me is that the system accurately recorded activity that was occuring while you slept. 
Y'know what... I'm getting real tired of you.

Oberlehrer Tater, it is you who is insinuating that everybody is stupid except you:
Quote from: CommonTater on January 18, 2013, 08:36:41 AM
jj ... NTFS stores file dates and times as UTC ... To get your local time from them you need to use FileTimeToSystemTime() ... if you know how to use it.

So don't be surprised if from time to time I poke you - because I love that "pfffft" sound when the air gets out of you. I sincerely hope that the code you produce is not as bloated as its author :greensml:

CommonTater

Quote from: jj2007 on January 18, 2013, 10:29:04 PM
Oberlehrer Tater, it is you who is insinuating that everybody is stupid except you:

I don't think you're stupid ... just misguided.

So don't be surprised if from time to time I poke you - because I love that "pfffft" sound when the air gets out of you. I sincerely hope that the code produce is not as bloated as its author :greensml:

So you are proclaiming yourself to be a stalker who's going to pick on me at your whim?

Buddy you seriously need psychiatric help an you need it NOW.

BogdanOntanu

Quote from: CommonTater on January 18, 2013, 10:33:06 PM
Quote from: jj2007 on January 18, 2013, 10:29:04 PM

I don't think you're stupid ... just misguided.

So don't be surprised if from time to time I poke you - because I love that "pfffft" sound when the air gets out of you. I sincerely hope that the code produce is not as bloated as its author :greensml:

So you are proclaiming yourself to be a stalker who's going to pick on me at your whim?

Buddy you seriously need psychiatric help an you need it NOW.

CommonTater  please watch your language ....
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy, www.oby.ro

CommonTater

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on January 18, 2013, 10:36:08 PM
CommonTater  please watch your language ....

And the stalker now takes your warning as encouragement.

Well done!

sinsi

>Your results might be accurate...
Well considering today is the 18th...

CommonTater

Quote from: sinsi on January 18, 2013, 11:11:48 PM
>Your results might be accurate...
Well considering today is the 18th...

When's the last time you shut your computer down?

If, for example, you started your computer on June 1st 2008 and never shut it down, the LastAccess date for any DLL loaded and used by the OS or Explorer would likely be June 1st 2008 ... because they're being held in memory.

sinsi

Shuts down every day, like around this time. Credit me with a bit of a brain please  :biggrin:

CommonTater

Quote from: sinsi on January 19, 2013, 12:23:22 AM
Shuts down every day, like around this time. Credit me with a bit of a brain please  :biggrin:

I made no comment about your intellect ... Just because I think JJ is all messed up, does not mean I think the same of anyone else.

I was simply exploring all possibilities...
I have two computers here that have been running 24/7 with only a couple of reboots since 2010... It's not an uncommon scenario.

sinsi

Windows 8 hasn't been out for that long  :biggrin:

CommonTater

Quote from: sinsi on January 19, 2013, 12:40:44 AM
Windows 8 hasn't been out for that long  :biggrin:

Windows XP has and so has Win7 ....

Frankly, I could not care less about supprting windows 8. 
In fact, I have people paying me money to get it out of their systems.

Magnum

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

hutch--

Guys,

Can we cool the irritations a bit, these things are just differences of opinion, not life and death scenarios.

dedndave

looks like a normal assembly language programmer discussion, to me   :lol:

Magnum

I agree.

It's a lot different than at msf-n.org right now.

A little harmless venting can be helpful.

Once I let my stepson beat a broken lawnmower with a sledgehammer.

(Gas had been emptied, etc.)

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org