Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

DLL problem

Started by Manos, January 28, 2013, 08:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manos

Hi.

On 1998 I buyed VStudio 6.0, professional edition and I was working on until now.
When arrived WinXP, VStudio 6.0 does not worked OK sometimes and I downloaded
from MS the service pack 6 for the VStudio and since VStudio works OK.
But this time I discovered that some DLLs written with VStudio 6.0 does not work properly sometimes.
These days I implemented a new DLL that exports some functions and I tested this
with a simple application, written with VStudio 6.0 also and the DLL worked OK.
Yestarday I added a new function for export.
I rebuild the DLL, I replaced the old DLL and its import library with the news and I tested this with the same simple testing application.
But I take from the Linker a message for an unresolved external symbol for the new function.
I rebuiled again and again the DLL and the testing application, but the problem exists.
I opened with Notepad the import library for the DLL, written by the linker and I found that
the new function exist there.
Then I implemented the same simple testing application using VC++ 2005 and I tested that DLL.
The DLL works OK.
That is, the DLL implemented with VStudio 6.0 does not works properly when testing with an
application written with VStudio 6.0, but it works OK when testing with the same testing
application written with VC++ 2005.

Can someone explain this behavior ?

Thanks,
Manos.

Tedd

Differences in name mangling would be my first guess.
Potato2

dedndave

i was thinking linker version

Manos

The DLL is written with VStudio 6.0.

I have done two test applications, one with VStudio 6.0 and one with VC++ 2005.
The VStudio 6.0 test application does not works, but the VC++ 2005 test application works OK.
After this, I opened the Project File of the VStudio 6.0 test application, with VC++ 2005
and I rebuild this with VC++ 2005. The result is that it works OK.
Therefore the error is in VStudio 6.0.

Manos.