News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Port SSE to AVX (integer arithmetic) ...or wait for AVX2 (Intel)

Started by phaap, January 29, 2013, 05:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phaap

Hi together,
i think about to port my algorithm from SSE to AVX - but the AVX abilities for integer arithmetic and logical manipulation are poor...
So i think the overhead to emulate this instructions for full 256-bit support isn't worth the trouble.
Or have someone of you other experiences?!?

Gunther

Hi phaap,

I think AVX gives a lot of new opportunities and it's worth to migrate your SSE code to AVX.

Quote from: phaap on January 29, 2013, 05:04:07 AM
i think about to port my algorithm from SSE to AVX - but the AVX abilities for integer arithmetic and logical manipulation are poor...

That's not quite right. According to the manuals (Intel or AMD) for every SSE instruction you've an appropriate AVX instruction (for example: MULPS and VMULPS). Of course, a lot of AVX integer instructions have only a 128 bit encoding, while others have both. All things considered, AVX gives a great performance boost. You could check the following 64 bit example: http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=795.0 On the other hand: AVX2 will need some time.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

noellerichmond

I was not aware that we can port SSE to AVX or switching from one to the other. So this is how I am  going get new information here and I am glad I can learn so much.

Gunther

Hi noellerichmond,

first things first: Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: noellerichmond on April 18, 2013, 10:20:25 PM
I was not aware that we can port SSE to AVX or switching from one to the other. So this is how I am  going get new information here and I am glad I can learn so much.

Sure, we can, if the AVX instruction set is available (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Bulldozer). For more information, please check out that or that thread.

Gunther

dedndave

not everything will port back and forth smoothly
rather than thinking in terms of using "SSE or AVX", you might consider how they compliment each other

hutch--

noellerichmond,

Answer us this question, does your membership in this forum have anything to do with assembler programming ? I notice that you have advertising for a non-programming activity as your signature which has nothing to do with this forum at all.

We do not allow any advertising at all and we do enforce it to keep a mountain of crap out of the forum.

Please let us know quickly or we will have to remove your post and membership.

habran

Bravo hutch :eusa_clap:
I spotted that instantly and wanted to worn about it
but I waited to see if someone else will do it instead
I was surprised that Gunther & dedndave did not react
however, it is nice to see some female interested in assembly programming
even if just pretending :greenclp:
Cod-Father

jj2007

Quote from: habran on April 20, 2013, 12:05:41 AM
however, it is nice to see some female interested in assembly programming
even if just pretending :greenclp:

The "girl" is typically a boy with basic computer skills sitting in a poor developing country and earning 1$ an hour for registering in forums, shuffling together a sentence that pretends to make sense and adding the link that gets him the buck and will marginally raise the Google ranking of his employer's site...

dedndave

generally, i'd agree with you guys
i think you are reading too much into it, in this case - lol

maybe not
it is odd that she has a fully set-up profile on first post   :P

jj2007

Quote from: dedndave on April 20, 2013, 02:07:25 AM
it is odd that she has a fully set-up profile on first post   :P

Yeah, that's right. Let's wait if there is a second sign of life 8)

dedndave

well - there are certainly a number of ways to contact her - lol
she set up an e-mail, AOL IM, and yahoo IM   :lol:

Gunther

If Jochen and habran are right, and that could be, and our message boxes are full of spam, Hutch needs only a few mouse clicks and the thing is over. So let's see what happens in the future.

Gunther

Gunther

Hi Jochen,

Quote from: jj2007 on April 20, 2013, 12:26:30 AM
The "girl" is typically a boy with basic computer skills sitting in a poor developing country and earning 1$ an hour for registering in forums, shuffling together a sentence that pretends to make sense and adding the link that gets him the buck and will marginally raise the Google ranking of his employer's site...

the boy and girl question isn't so decisive. But in general, search engine optimization (SEO) isn't an easy task and I've doubts that a few mouse clicks more will bring forward the employer's site.

Gunther

MichaelW

Is there some easy way to get the search engines to ignore such links?
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.