News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

M$ support for ml64.exe

Started by vengy, March 21, 2013, 11:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vengy

Is M$ still supporting ML.exe and ML64.exe?
They've stopped shipping with VStudio and  the last stable release was 2010. (wikipedia)

Thanks.

Magnum

I would they are. They used it to build their O.S.s.

Andy
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

hutch--

vengy,

I would not worry all that much, both ML.EXE and ML64.EXE are very stable applications that do not need to be changed all that often. Just use the latest releases and you will be fine.

habran

I have a different information
I have found this in my Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-desktop

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64>ml64
Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler (x64) Version 11.00.50727.1
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

usage: ML64 [ options ] filelist [ /link linkoptions]
Run "ML64 /help" or "ML64 /?" for more info

Cod-Father

Magnum

Many people use Ml.exe Ver. 6.14  and it's copyright is 1981-1997. to make 32-bit programs.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

habran

we don't need ml.exe or ml64.exe because we have Japheth's excellent JWasm  :t
I wouldn't be surprised if M$ very soon ask Japheth permission  to use JWasm for their programming  ;)
Cod-Father

hutch--

:biggrin:

I would not hold your breath waiting, MASM has only been in development since 1981 so I doubt they would suddenly change anything in a hurry.

habran

thank you for your concern hutch, I have quit smoking more than 20 years ago 8)
my lungs are in excellent condition and I can hold my breath for a pretty long time :biggrin:
ml.exe is a legend, but already obsolete  :icon14:
ml64.exe is crappy without a hll :icon13:
so, Jwasm is our present and the future :idea:
with a source code available :exclaim:

Cod-Father

habran

I apologize to other authors of assemblers/compilers for putting them behind the JWasm :biggrin:
my reasoning for that is that most of them are:
1. not supplying the source 
2. I don't understand why wee need [var] instead of simply var
3. hll not completely built in
4. macros different than we are used to
Cod-Father

avcaballero

My jWasm copy hasn't got any lib,inc,etc within the package, don't know if there's a zip with all included... If it is so, I think that really this is what it need to be one of the main asm compilers out there. I have used it few times, but seems to be great... just this little detail, that would make it in one of my favorites  :t.

PD: [var] instead of "var" because somehow you must tell the compiler that you want the value of the variable, not its direction, or add the classic OFFSET.

anta40

Quote from: avcaballero on March 21, 2013, 09:13:46 PM
My jWasm copy hasn't got any lib,inc,etc within the package, don't know if there's a zip with all included

Well, there is WinInc
BTW, take note:
No library of helper functions (M32LIB in Masm32) is included, instead it is recommended (and supported) to use functions contained in C runtime libraries like libc, crtdll, msvcrt, ....

dedndave

yah - the WinInc project is probably almost as much work to put together as JwAsm - lol
you can build your own lib's - especially easy with Vortex's tools   :P

japheth

Quote from: dedndave on March 21, 2013, 09:52:20 PM
yah - the WinInc project is probably almost as much work to put together as JwAsm - lol

Yes. This is intentionally - to keep the noobies out. I don't feel to explain in detail novices 100 times or more how to create a "hello world" or what a linker is good for. That's something where other people have better skills and patience.

Vortex

Hi avcaballero,

You can use Masm32's libraries with JWasm.

I agree with Habran. JWasm is a very good tool.

jj2007

Quote from: Vortex on March 22, 2013, 05:48:55 AM
I agree with Habran. JWasm is a very good tool.

And its author is a particularly nice person :t
Besides, JWasm assembles my favourite library more than twice as fast as M$ assemblers :t