News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Ping admin [help! I'm getting unwanted emails from here]

Started by NoCforMe, June 21, 2012, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

I'm posting this here since I don't know how else to contact folks here regarding individual problems like this.

I'm getting an email every time there's a response to a thread I started here. I don't want these emails. I've looked through all the profile stuff and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off this behavior. (I seem to remember that there was with the old board; at least I didn't get emails on responses back then.) Could someone look into this?

On a general note, I though of sending Hutch a private message with this problem, but didn't want to bug him if he wasn't the right person to take care of this kind of stuff. Shouldn't there be a simple way to direct problems like this to an appropriate place, either a link to someone's PM, or a forum, or something? I don't see anything like that now (regarding what I would call "meta" problems, having to do with the operation of the board itself).

MichaelW

I'm not sure if there is some variation depending on the browser being used, but for me using IE I clicked Profile on the menu near the top of the main page, then when the summary opened clicked Modify Profile and then Notifications.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

dedndave

it is rather strange
after Hutch fixed it, i got a bunch of e-mails
then, i disabled it like Michael said
i still get a few e-mails - i must have notifications selected on those threads - lol
not nearly as many as i was getting

MichaelW

I just checked again and found 5 more notifications for 2 topics, so I used the link in the notifications to unsubscribe from the topics.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

NoCforMe

I'm sorry, there's no nice way to put this: whoever designed the profile-settings interface is a goddamn idiot.

Yes, it turns out that the notifications checkbox is on the Modify Profile page, which doesn't appear until you select one of the three Profile menu items (Summary, Account Settings, Forum Profile). Stupid me--I was looking for a notifications control on the account settings page itself.

All of which confirms my conviction that programmers (i.e., geeks) are the last ones who should ever design user interfaces. They'll use the most convoluted, non-intuitive path every time.

[rant off]

P1

Quote from: NoCforMe on June 21, 2012, 11:25:22 AM
I'm sorry, there's no nice way to put this: whoever designed the profile-settings interface is a goddamn idiot.

Yes, it turns out that the notifications checkbox is on the Modify Profile page, which doesn't appear until you select one of the three Profile menu items (Summary, Account Settings, Forum Profile). Stupid me--I was looking for a notifications control on the account settings page itself.

All of which confirms my conviction that programmers (i.e., geeks) are the last ones who should ever design user interfaces. They'll use the most convoluted, non-intuitive path every time.

[rant off]
I have not seen a decent BBS software written in MASM32 yet.

There are only two sides, part of the problem or part of the solution, "ranting" is not a solution.

Regards,  P1   8)

hutch--

:biggrin:

If you think turning OFF notification is difficult, you should have seen the guts that got it working. No documentation on an option that assumed a default member profile and none of the settings worked on any other profile. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fundamental logic of PHP leads to really obscure layouts in server side software.