Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Virtual Machine with DOS

Started by Gunther, May 17, 2013, 05:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunther

Hi Dubby,

there's really no need for apologies. It was my fault not to read the manual careful.

By the way, I've configured DOSBOX now for my needs. The PowerBASIC compiler works fine, several assemblers, too. The only thing is that some VESA modes doesn't work with my AMD Radeon 7570. That's a bit strange, because under a clean DOS (started from USB stick) they work properly. I think it's aproblem with Windows 7.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

MichaelW

Quote from: Gunther on May 18, 2013, 11:09:10 PM
your test programs are working fine under DOSBOX. They need a DPMI host. Is it for using the linear frame buffer or has it to do with the BASIC dialect?

FreeBASIC apps run in 32-bit protected mode. AFAIK for your original configuration Windows XP Mode would have provided a DPMI host as part of NTVDM. I didn't check DOSBox, but now that I have I find references to CWSDPMI working, and per Japheth his HDPMI has been tested with DOSBox (version >= 0.70).

http://www.japheth.de/HX/HDPMI.html

Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

Gunther

Michael,

Quote from: MichaelW on May 19, 2013, 06:10:01 AM
FreeBASIC apps run in 32-bit protected mode.

that was the point. A DPMI host isn't a real problem; I've Sandmann's CWSDPMI which works fine under DOSBOX. I haven't tested Japheth's tool, but it'll work too.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.