Author Topic: Project Complete!!  (Read 1132 times)

hawkeye62

  • Guest
Project Complete!!
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
I finished the project I started a couple of weeks ago. You may remember that I had a performance measurement program I had written in 16 bit masm several years ago. I wanted to write a new version in 32 masm that would run on newer PCs. The macro, timers.asm, was a very big help since all I had to re-write was the actual performance code. There was some confusion because the timers.asm version that calculates milliseconds appears to be broken. I spent some time trying to analyze that version, than gave up and used the version that calculates pc cycles. That version gives very consistent results. What I did to confirm results was to run the program on a 2.4 GHz P4 that I can also run my old 16 bit version on. The results are that the old version gives 60 milliseconds and the new 32 bit version gives 58.96 milliseconds. (Calculated just using specs, not measured pc frequency.) That gives me the tie point between the new and old programs.

Here are a few numbers just as an aside.

HP-12 Calculator      42.60 hours
IBM XT                      65.80 minutes
IBM 286                    11.32 seconds
2.4 GHz P4                60.00 milliseconds (16 bit code)
2.4 GHz P4                58.96 milliseconds (32 bit code)
1.8 GHz i3                  19.23 milliseconds
2.8 GHz i7                    8.10 milliseconds

Anyway, I am satisfied with the new program. Thanks for all of the patience and help from the forum. I couldn't have done it without your help.

Regards, Jim