Author Topic: An almost sad tale but true.  (Read 138 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
An almost sad tale but true.
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
Yesterday a mate of mine came over and brought an old Win7 laptop with him. He had just escaped being brassed by one of the scams that regularly get peddled by phone here in OZ. He had been rung up by some jerk from India (with a matching terrible accent) offering to fix his computer for him. He almost fell for it all until the guy wanted his credit card details but he had already downloaded and installed the software that this crook asked him to download.

He then rang the support line for Norton AV and the guy he spoke to was among other things trying to sell him about $400.00 AU of Norton software. Both had fed him bullsh*t by showing him the error log that all computers had with the usual scaremongering bullsh*t. He then rang me so I told him to bring it over.

Downloaded the current install for MalewareBytes, installed it on his machine and ran it which took an hour or so, picked up just over 1000 "problems" so ditched all of the crap which saved about 20 or so meg of disk space, rebooted and ran it a second time and it started and finished at 0 problems so that seemed to work OK. Found the crap he installed from the first guy and uninstalled it. Then loaded the free "auslogic" defragger which also ran for an hour or so on the lowest setting and cleaned up the mess and it almost runs like a good one. Its an old (about 7 years) Toshiba laptop and with a quick look had a 1.6 gig Celeron in it that had up to SSE 4.2 in it.

Had a look at what was running with "Process hacker" and there was no "naughty" stuff running so it seemed all is well. The advice to him if he gets rung up again with this common scam was to tell the guy to PHUK_OFF and don't be gracious about it.

I regularly get rung up by these morons, usually while i am in the middle of writing some code and they usually try some bullsh*t like "The computer department here" so depending on the mood and the level of irritation I respond with, "No your not I am, PHUK_OFF !"  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

i Z !

• asm should be the first language that you learn
    • Balanced ternary calculator
Re: An almost sad tale but true.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
I had the same problem... For years they've been ringing me offering advice for stock markets.
In few cases I could recognize an Indian accent, but the numbers which they were calling from were mostly from the UK. On the last occasion, I've got a call from a woman. She started the conversation as they always did: "How are you today?". I was feeling kinda cheerful and I replied: "None of your business.", and I laughed. This pissed her off so much that she told me to go F myself :)
You N*E*E*D this app:
If not elsewhere, on this forum I may find few people who also used keyboard shortcut to bring up shutdown menu.
Activate the shutdown menu by pressing WinKey followed by Alt+F4 at anytime. Just like on XP and earlier versions: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NW7JLFHQZH5

zedd151

• Return to coding...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
I only have a cell phone here, so there is caller ID. If I don't recognize a phone number that is trying to reach me, I just ignore it. If it is really important enough they will leave a voice mail. From the call log, I block unrecognized phone numbers from calling and disturbing me ever again.

Basically same goes for any unsolicited emails that I receive. If I don't recognize the sender, I generally ignore those as well. Sometimes even if I do recognize the sender of an email, I still ignore it. If it is really important enough they can always email back.

For computer troubles, I do my own in-house cleaning. Just wipe the drive and install my latest backup.  I try to keep as little as possible on my OS partition, and use external storage for documents, pictures, and even 'portable' apps. (I use 'Cameyo' for some, winrar for others)
Windows XP is back in full swing!

i Z !

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 12:38:41 AM »
Actually, they rang me another time after that. That time I roared "Go F yourself" and hung up before he/she had a chance to say anything. Maybe that's how I got rid of them. Steve, maybe try a similar approach - phuck them off immediately.  Looks like you need to be really harsh on them
You N*E*E*D this app:
If not elsewhere, on this forum I may find few people who also used keyboard shortcut to bring up shutdown menu.
Activate the shutdown menu by pressing WinKey followed by Alt+F4 at anytime. Just like on XP and earlier versions: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NW7JLFHQZH5

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:27:36 AM »
I usually just hang up on them in a noisy manner but a while ago I hung up on one of them and they rang me back so that time I asked them, "What did you miss the first time ?" then hung up again. They did not ring back again.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 01:51:37 AM »
You have really bad manners, guys - be polite: "Mylady, I am mortified that you are forced to prostitute yourself in a call center for <insert company name>". They start crying bitterly and never call again 8)

i Z !

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 02:21:12 AM »
<insert company name>

They make up a new name every time. As far as I can see, these guys get paid to bug you.
Why would anyone make a long lasting international phone call, just to offer you something he knows you aren't interested in...
You N*E*E*D this app:

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
I just put the phone down and let them talk... and talk, while I make a cup of tea, get a beer ;)
That call is costing someone money, and it's not me.
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

sinsi

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »
Why would anyone make a long lasting international phone call, just to offer you something he knows you aren't interested in...
Every company moved their call centres to India in the 90s, lately they are moving elsewhere (home, Philippines etc), leaving hundreds of empty call centres in India all with cheap phone systems.
Hook the phones up to VOIP, there's your cheap phone calls. Spoof caller ID and they can seem to be calling from anywhere. Over here they often show up as a Sydney area code, even if they are in India.
Hell, some of them really believe they work for Microsoft.

Showing the event log is always a classic, every customer that saw me do it freaked out.
I explained that it was normal and told them to be wary of phone calls because that is exactly what the scammers do - show you the log, convince you to pay for a 2-year service contract. Bastards.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.