News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Iczelion tutorial 35 Highlighting

Started by Fumio, September 17, 2013, 02:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fumio

I had worked through this tut some time ago on my old XP machine and all was well. Now on Vista I cannot get the "NewRicheditProc" to work at all. The problem has to be related to the subclassing procedure but I need assistance finding the problem. The error I get is "Access volation when writing to 129990"
Fumio

MichaelW

AFAICT the tutorial targets Rich Edit versions 2.0 or 3.0, and judging from this, Vista does not, or at least did not, include these versions.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

jj2007

Quote from: MichaelW on September 17, 2013, 03:39:57 PM
AFAICT the tutorial targets Rich Edit versions 2.0 or 3.0, and judging from this, Vista does not, or at least did not, include these versions.

Win7-32 includes
C:\Windows\System32\riched20.dll (20.11.2010)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE11 (17.5.2011)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\RICHED20.DLL (27.7.2011)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\RICHED20.DLL (28.12.2010)

For reading RTF files into the control, the Office11 version is about 20% faster than the other versions.

Note that EM_STREAMOUT is broken, at least in some versions. Use EM_GETTEXTEX instead.

hutch--

I have been writing richedit based editors for years and I have found that riched 2-3 works on everything from Win2000 to Win7 64 bit but note that I only process text, not RTF.

Fumio

Thanks to those who commented on my question. Still looking at the problem and found a makefile for the version that works and it has a cmd to expand the stack:
NAME=IczEdit
$(NAME).exe: $(NAME).obj $(NAME).res
        Link /STACK:2000000,2000000 /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /LIBPATH:c:\masm32\lib $(NAME).obj $(NAME).res
$(NAME).res:$(NAME).rc
   rc $(NAME).rc
$(NAME).obj: $(NAME).asm
        ml /c /coff /Cp $(NAME).asm
And looking at the working exe vs the nonworking exe I see that there is a difference in the main thread stack size with working version being 78000 H bytes larger.
I also note that my non working program fails on an attempt to write to 00129990 which is outside the stack area.
Is there a cmd I can use in RadAsm that will expand the stack?
I have tried ".STACK 2000000; which compiles but still crashes with same error and stack is no bigger.

dedndave

jj2007

Just checked RichMasm, and it has standard stack size 100000h/1000h
So I wonder what exactly makes your app crash - it seems not to be the RichEd control.

Fumio

Hello dedndave and jj2007: The richedit control itself functions nicely, its only the subclassing of the control that is at issue.
The call in wndproc to invoke SetWindowLong,hwndRichEdit,GWL_WNDPROC, addr NewRichEditProc
      mov OldWndProc,eax
And the call within the newWndproc: invoke CallWindowProc,OldWndProc,hWnd,uMsg,wParam,lParam
to return control to the original WndProc seem to be causing the trouble.
Fumio

dedndave

i got it to work ok
i made a "MakeIt.bat" file to build it...
\masm32\bin\rc /v IczEdit.rc
if exist rsrc.res del rsrc.res
if exist IczEdit.res ren IczEdit.res rsrc.res
if exist rsrc.obj del rsrc.obj
\masm32\bin\cvtres /machine:ix86 rsrc.res
if exist rsrc.res del rsrc.res

if exist IczEdit.obj del IczEdit.obj
\masm32\bin\ml /c /coff IczEdit.asm

\masm32\bin\Link /STACK:2000000,2000000 /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /OPT:NOREF IczEdit.obj rsrc.obj

if exist rsrc.obj del rsrc.obj
if exist IczEdit.obj del IczEdit.obj

it seems to be sublcassing the control just fine
the one problem i did see was....
.elseif uMsg==WM_CLOSE
invoke SetWindowLong,hWnd,GWL_WNDPROC,OldWndProc
.else
invoke CallWindowProc,OldWndProc,hWnd,uMsg,wParam,lParam
ret
.endif
NewRichEditProc endp

WM_CLOSE is received - it "un-subclasses" itself - then it goes out to lala land - lol
no RET or anything
probably ok to return 0 and RET, but i did it this way.....
.elseif uMsg==WM_CLOSE
invoke SetWindowLong,hWnd,GWL_WNDPROC,OldWndProc
ret
.else
ret
.endif
NewRichEditProc endp

as far as i know, that method of sub-classing works fine under vista
so - i think it's something else (in the WM_PAINT code)

jj2007

My RichEd subclass is 500+ lines, and it works just fine with standard stack...
Your problem is where it writes "outside the stack area" at 12990h. That sounds really odd ::)

P.S.: In general, invoke SetWindowLong,hWnd,GWL_WNDPROC,OldWndProc is not necessary, the OS can handle that.

Fumio

Hello dedndave: I duplicated your process using the bat file and it works absolutely fine on my vista machine. I had been trying to build the tut35 exe via Radasm 2 and 3 neither worked. It seems as if that "/STACK:2000000,2000000 " option is the stickler. I tried several formats to implement that via the project options in Radasm but was unsuccessful. If you have any tips on how that could be done I sure would like to know. However it's good to know that Vista is not the problem. Thanks for the .bat
Hello jj2007: Yes it is odd the problem show up in the ShowWindow api. I have traced into it and still haven't found exactly where the problem occurs, but it is in the latter section of that routine and even if I find exactly where, I don't know if I would have the expertise to understand what is going wrong. As I mentioned before I compared the starting stack sizes and the exe that works has a much bigger stack than the one that doesn't.
I am able to work with the tut now so that is my main concern but I would like to find out how to make it work via Radasm. Again, I believe it has something to do with the
/STACK:2000000,2000000 option used in the bat file and original make file.
Thanks for your interest and help
Fumio

Fumio

Succeeded in increasing stack size but still crashes at with multiple .. 9990 :eusa_boohoo:

Fumio

dedndave

you can modify the EXE header after it has been linked by using editbin.exe
editbin /STACK:2000000,2000000 IczEdit.exe

other than that, i am not familiar enough with RadAsm to help, there   :P

Fumio

Here is the project file I have been using via Radasm 2.2.1.5 The files are exactly the same as the files used to make a working exe built via a bat file. Note that the asm, rc etc are unchanged versions of Iczelion's Tutorial 35, I have not intentionally changed any of the code.
Fumio

Fumio

Hi dedndave: I finally was able to increase stack size by using the link option /STACK: [number] I increased it to the exact size that existed in the working tut35.exe . I attached a pic of Project options tab in  Radasm.

Fumio