Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

CreateThread/TerminateThread API

Started by hesho28, November 22, 2013, 10:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hesho28

Hello,

I want an example of using CreateThread/TerminateThread APIs in masm32.

Thanks

qWord

TerminateThread is a function that does not appear in well written programs, because threads terminate themselves by calling ExitThread or returning from the thread-function (see also msdn)
include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc
.code
thread proc param:PVOID

fnc crt_printf,"param = 0x%X\n",param

invoke ExitThread,0
thread endp

main proc
LOCAL hThread:DWORD
LOCAL dwTID:DWORD

invoke CreateThread,0,0,thread,0BADF00Dh,0,ADDR dwTID
    mov hThread,eax

;...

invoke WaitForSingleObject,hThread,INFINITE
    invoke CloseHandle,hThread
    print "fin",13,10
    inkey

exit
main endp
end main

BTW: did you take a look in to the examples-folder?
MREAL macros - when you need floating point arithmetic while assembling!

dedndave

also - don't use parameters in the PROC line, or LOCAL's
        .XCREF
        .NoList
        INCLUDE    \Masm32\Include\Masm32rt.inc
        .List

;###############################################################################################

fnThread PROTO

;###############################################################################################

;        .DATA

;***********************************************************************************************

.DATA?

hStdOut HANDLE ?

.CODE

;***********************************************************************************************

_main   PROC

INVOKE  GetStdHandle,STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE
        mov     hStdOut,eax
        mov     edi,15

loop00: mov     eax,'P'
        sub     eax,edi
        INVOKE  CreateThread,0,0,fnThread,eax,0,0
        dec     edi
        jnz     loop00

INVOKE  Sleep,250
        print   chr$(13,10)
        inkey
        INVOKE  ExitProcess,0

_main   ENDP

fnThread PROC

xor     eax,eax
    lea     edx,[esp+4]
    push    eax
    mov     ecx,esp
    INVOKE  WriteFile,hStdOut,edx,1,ecx,eax
    pop     ecx
    INVOKE  ExitThread,0

fnThread ENDP

END     _main

qWord

dave,
we had already had that discussion: the correct function has one parameter and can of course  use local variables.
Quote from: msdnDWORD WINAPI ThreadProc( _In_  LPVOID lpParameter);

dedndave

yah - but, i wasn't going to let you be the winner - lol
there is one parm passed, but the stack doesn't get balanced by a RET (unless you use RET)
if you want to use a stack-frame, make it yourself

qWord

Quote from: dedndave on November 22, 2013, 11:20:05 AMthere is one parm passed, but the stack doesn't get balanced by a RET (unless you use RET)
Sorry, I can't follow you.

dedndave

fnThread PROC Parm:DWORD
;
;
;
    INVOKE  ExitThread,0

fnThread ENDP

generates
fnThread PROC

push    ebp
    mov     ebp,esp
;
;
;
    INVOKE  ExitThread,0

fnThread ENDP

the stack frame is created, but not balanced

the question is, does ExitThread really release the stack space (including previous operating system versions)

qWord

and what is the problem with that? The stack-memory will be release when the thread-object is destroyed, regardless what ESP points to.
Also, the MSDN is clear about ExitThread: "ExitThread is the preferred method of exiting a thread in C code"

qWord

Quote from: dedndave on November 22, 2013, 11:31:53 AMthe question is, does ExitThread really release the stack space (including previous operating system versions)
it does:
When this function is called (either explicitly or by returning from a thread procedure), the current thread's stack is deallocated, all pending I/O initiated by the thread is canceled, and the thread terminates. The entry-point function of all attached dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) is invoked with a value indicating that the thread is detaching from the DLL.

jj2007

Quote from: qWord on November 22, 2013, 11:36:44 AMThe stack-memory will be release when the thread-object is destroyed, regardless what ESP points to.
Also, the MSDN is clear about ExitThread: "ExitThread is the preferred method of exiting a thread in C code"

An interesting question is whether correctly exiting with ret leaves something behind, i.e. what happens if an app creates a Million threads.

TWell

Quote from: jj2007 on November 22, 2013, 05:29:34 PM
An interesting question is whether correctly exiting with ret leaves something behind, i.e. what happens if an app creates a Million threads.
ExitThread:
->RtlExitUserThread
  ->NtTerminateThread

ret:
->BaseThreadInitThunk
  ->RtlExitUserThread
    ->NtTerminateThread

jj2007

Quote from: TWell on November 22, 2013, 09:20:35 PMExitThread:
->RtlExitUserThread
  ->NtTerminateThread

ret:
->BaseThreadInitThunk
  ->RtlExitUserThread
    ->NtTerminateThread

Makes sense, thanks. Probably their formula "the preferred method of exiting a thread in C code" means Microsoft doesn't believe C compilers can handle a retn n correctly ;-)

dedndave

it's been some time since i have read through the create/destroy thread documentation
but, i remember one thing that wasn't mentioned throughout most of it
then, it popped up in one or two places - to leave the reader in a mystery zone - lol
that was, closing the thread handle
to date, i have used CreateThread and ExitThread without any further coding
and, i've had what seems to be good success
but, i am still not sure if i should close the thread handle after it terminates

as for the stack, i was told by an experienced programmer that it could create memory leaks
it may well be that it was a windows 3.1 issue, that lingered into his current experience