Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Debugging x64 window application.

Started by vogelsang, November 30, 2013, 08:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vogelsang

Hi assembly coders,

I have few questions about debugging x64 window application. Probably this is the same thing as in win32.

When I run gui app under debugger I stick in the infinite message loop, because as I guess it's not able to process all the events under debugger and window doesn't respond. If I could get outside message loop I could simulate events inside WndProc by changing flag values at compering event consts.

How to get outside message loop or is there a simpler way to handle with this? When I debug program in Visual Studio there is no such problem.

And other thing. When I load program into debugger I strat at nt.dll. How to start at module entry point? I use Visual Dux Debugger. Also I got WinDbg, but almost don't use it.
"How beautiful this world ruled by dibs, not a gun!"

jj2007

Give Pelles C debugger a try. It's the only decent 64-bit debugger I know.

vogelsang

ok, I will try it.

Edit 08:58

If someone else will have same problem, here is the solution for first question - to stop debugging in WndProc at particular WM event simply set breakpoint at it. Run debugged program and when you make this event on app window debugger will stop there and you get outside message loop :biggrin:

farrier

I have been using FDBG with great success:

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=9689

hth,

farrier
For the code is dark, and full of errors!
It's a good day to code!
Don't Bogart that code, my friend!

vogelsang

Hi farrier,
does this debugger handles the jwasm/ml64 debugging symbols?

habran

Hi vogelsang :biggrin:
If you are only having a fun with programming you can play with those toys mentioned above 
however, if you are serious in need for good debugger you will have to use the WinDbg or MSVC Dbg  :bgrin:

Cod-Father

TWell

But for starters PellesC IDE bit easier work with
Real mens don't do do mistakes :badgrin: and they don't need even female handwork  ;)
i have heard lot of about those 'handymens'.
i still need womens for those basic things :greenclp:

vogelsang

Here is answer for second question, but only for WinDbg:

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=2424.0

Thanks for replies.