Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Where can I find MASM64

Started by somnathp, January 23, 2014, 06:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnathp

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I am an experienced VC++ programmer, but debug mostly in assembly language using WinDbg as most of the time I debug production boxes without access to source code. These days most of the computers are 64bit, so want to learn how to write 64bit assembly language programs to improve my debugging skills in X64.

I need the following information to start off

1) Where can I find download link for MASM64?
2) Books on MASM64.
3) Books on X64 Windows assembly language programming.

Thanks
Somnath

anta40

Quote from: somnathp on January 23, 2014, 06:56:57 PM
1) Where can I find download link for MASM64?

AFAIK there's no official MASM64.
Well, someone initiated that project, but it seems to be discontinued

But for the assembler itself, you can either grab from VS or use JWasm

dedndave

i think most members use JwAsm for 64-bit

somnathp

I found an article which teaches how to use MASM with VS. <http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/271627/Assembly-Programming-with-Visual-Studio-2010-2012>. Seems interesting. :)

Gunther

Hi somnathp,

Quote from: somnathp on January 23, 2014, 06:56:57 PM
3) Books on X64 Windows assembly language programming.

Thanks
Somnath

these are rare birds. Try jWasm's sample section. It contains a few Win 64 examples.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

KeepingRealBusy

Quote from: somnathp on January 24, 2014, 03:38:58 PM
I found an article which teaches how to use MASM with VS. <http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/271627/Assembly-Programming-with-Visual-Studio-2010-2012>. Seems interesting. :)

The codeproject only has about a million members, and there are only about 30 to 50 thousand on-line at the codeproject at any time of the day. I don't know why you might think that it would be a good source of information.   :lol:

Good find.

Dave.

Gunther

Quote from: KeepingRealBusy on January 25, 2014, 02:50:19 AM
The codeproject only has about a million members, and there are only about 30 to 50 thousand on-line at the codeproject at any time of the day. I don't know why you might think that it would be a good source of information.   :lol:

Good find.

Dave.

it should be clear that it is a review article. But it has a lot of references.

Gunther

KeepingRealBusy

Gunther,

Thank you for checking it out, I hadn't done that yet as I am not really planning to get into 64 bit assembly at this time. CodeProject is usually a good source.

Dave.

Blackmasm

Hi All

In reference to getting Masm64 I just wanted to add that on my old(ish) copy of MS Visual Studio, VS 2008.  The default install does not include ml64.exe, you have to select 64bit support from the options screen.  Don't know if that'll be relevant to OP, but perhaps useful to someone else - (probably me if I forget).  :biggrin:

There's no download as such, but I hear tell it can be found in some of the MS SDK's you can download from MSDN, a driver development one or something, I'm afraid I never found out as it wasn't necessary so I could be wrong.
</ me>

Blackmasm

You debug 64bit production servers in Assembly !?!  :greenclp:
Sounds stressful.   :shock:

Is that in actual response to bugs, or more of a security audit kind of thing?
</ me>

TWell

Here is link how to use  VC Express 2008 and x64 tools from SDK 7.

Gunther

KeepingRealBusy,

Quote from: KeepingRealBusy on January 25, 2014, 09:02:06 AM
CodeProject is usually a good source.

Dave.

no doubt about that. They've tons of useful articles and tutorials.

Gunther