Main Menu

Invalid instruction operands in "Bt"

Started by alanabbott, March 13, 2014, 10:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanabbott

IOfinSICB.asm(248) : error A2070: invalid instruction operands

IOfinSICB.asm(251) : error A2070: invalid instruction operands

IOfinSICB.asm(257) : error A2070: invalid instruction operands

I have 450 bit array which I need to test. I defined it as: TabDeComp Byte 58 Dup (0)

the sequence of instruction are the following:

Mov Esi, pFfin2              ; Origen dat
            Mov Edi, pMemory
            Mov Ebx, 7
          LoopDeCmp:
       248  Bt TabDeComp, Ebx
            Jnc DorQ
            Dec Ebx
       251  Bt TabDeComp, Ebx
            Jc PassBump                   ; Es Dup
            Fldz                          ; pongo cero
            Jmp PassBump
          DorQ:
            Dec Ebx
       257  Bt [TabDeComp], Ebx
            Jnc esQW
            Fild DWord Ptr [Esi]
            Add Esi, 4
            Jmp PassBump
          esQW:
            Fild QWord Ptr [Esi]
            Add Esi, 8
          PassBump:
            Fistp QWord Ptr [Edi]
            Add Edi, 8
            Bt Ebx, 2               ; Test 7
            Jnc LoopDeCmp           ; 3 o 1
            Bt Ebx, 1
            Jnc LoopDeCmp           ; 5
            Add Ebx, 8
            Cmp Ebx, 450
            Jl LoopDeCmp

I'm a bit confused with the ERROR as in the Art of Assembly I found

QUOTE:

6.6.4.2 The Bit Test Instructions: BT, BTS, BTR, and BTC

On an 80386 or later processor, you can use the bt instruction (bit test) to test a single bit. Its second operand specifies the bit index into the first operand. Bt copies the addressed bit into the carry flag. For example, the instruction bt ax, 12 copies bit twelve of ax into the carry flag.

The bt/bts/btr/btc instructions only deal with 16 or 32 bit operands. This is not a limitation of the instruction. After all, if you want to test bit three of the al register, you can just as easily test bit three of the ax register. On the other hand, if the index is larger than the size of a register operand, the result is undefined.

If the first operand is a memory location, the bt instruction tests the bit at the given offset in memory, regardless the value of the index. For example, if bx contains 65 then bt TestMe, bx will copy bit one of location TestMe+8 into the carry flag. Once again, the size of the operand does not matter. For all intents and purposes, the memory operand is a byte and you can test any bit after that byte with an appropriate index. The actual bit bt tests is at bit position index mod 8 and at memory offset effective address + index/8.

The bts, btr, and btc instructions also copy the addressed bit into the carry flag. However, these instructions also set, reset (clear), or complement (invert) the bit in the first operand after copying it to the carry flag. This provides test and set, test and clear, and test and invert operations necessary for some concurrent algorithms.

The bt, bts, btr, and btc instructions do not affect any flags other than the carry flag.

UNQUOTE

It would seem that what I'm doing is correct?

I know it can be done throw a series of MOV to registers, but this would defeat my intentions of learning PC assembly and doing it the fastest  way possible.

TWell

QuoteCode   Mnemonic   Description
0F A3    BT r/m16, r16    Store selected bit in CF flag
0F A3    BT r/m32, r32    Store selected bit in CF flag
0F BA /4 ib    BT r/m16, imm8    Store selected bit in CF flag
0F BA /4 ib    BT r/m32, imm8    Store selected bit in CF flag
bt word ptr TabDeComp, 7
bt dword ptr TabDeComp, 7

jj2007

You need a size override: Bt dword ptr TabDeComp, ebx will work.
Welcome to the forum :icon14:

alanabbott

Thank you both.
It compiles without error either "Bt Word Ptr TabDeComp, Bx" or "Bt Word Ptc [TabDeComp], Bx". My next step will be verify it acts as I need, but that is another story.

Gunther

Hi alanabbott,

welcome to the forum.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

KeepingRealBusy

Note, if you specify just a register, the code when executed will just set the bit in the register (the input value will be masked to the appropriate size based on the specified register, i.e. AL,  AX , EAX ,RAX). If you specify a register pointer, then you are specifying a little endian memory bit string starting at the byte pointed to by the register.

Dave.