Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Linus programming

Started by Magnum, March 30, 2014, 05:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

I still dual boot.

Windows has "some issues", but it is quite developed.

I have been looking for a GUI interface for writing Linux programs.

Tried Kdevope and some others.

I installed it, but got no response to posts for help.

I honestly do not mind using a command line.

I looked for some examples, but found very little in C and
C++,

What do you think ?

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Vortex

Hi Magnum,

Not sure but maybe you could try GTK or Qt.  Linux is rather better with the command-line interface. As a server operating system, Linux is rock-solid.

Honestly, the problem of some Linux people is that they can be very arrogant and selfish geeks and this is not tolerable. What I do is to search the net to solve the problems.

Gunther

Hi Erol,

Quote from: Vortex on March 30, 2014, 07:48:16 PM
Honestly, the problem of some Linux people is that they can be very arrogant and selfish geeks and this is not tolerable. What I do is to search the net to solve the problems.

your statement is right, but there are enough arrogant Windows people, too.

Andy,

you should have a look into NASMX. It includes a lot of Linux graphics examples. May it's what you're searching for.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

jcfuller

I wrote a tiny gtk example for jwasm and linux located in the Samples folder. -> gtk01.asm

James

Gunther

Hi James,

Quote from: jcfuller on March 30, 2014, 08:43:39 PM
I wrote a tiny gtk example for jwasm and linux located in the Samples folder. -> gtk01.asm

I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for the hint.  :t

Gunther

Gunner

GTK+ is very easy to use.  You can code everything by hand as you would with the Windows API, or you can use GLADE - https://glade.gnome.org/
~Rob

shankle

Am I right in saying MASM32 and GoAsm will not
work in any Linux distribution?
So Magnum, what language are you going to use there?
Are you going to convert all your Masm32 programs
and to what?

I have found the Linux people to be intolerable. They seem to be "SUDO"
bound, like it is their domain to dispense out piecemeal to the rest of us
dummies.

Gunther

Hi shankle,

don't be so relentless (неустанный).

First, MASM32 makes a pretty good job under Wine. Furthermore, there are Linux versions of jWasm and Solar Assembler, not to speak about YASM and NASM. So porting some existing Windows software to Unix isn't so hard. I've done it and I know what I'm speaking about.

Gunther

jcfuller

Before I lost interest in Linux I started porting Peter's (BaCON: http://www.basic-converter.org/) HUG wrapper to jwasm. It makes using gtk+ a lot easier. Not even sure where the code is now.

James

carlos

Quote from: Vortex on March 30, 2014, 07:48:16 PM
Hi Magnum,

Quite the contrary,  since I went to figth for the republic 7 years ago,  ( :) ) I never find a problem I was unable to solve with the hel of the linux comunuty, sometimes the answer is quite terse, and asumes you know a lot, but being carefull and following the advice, and ASKING A LOT, you could solve anything.

the best IDE I found on linux is  .... your favorite editor and a terminal window. realy in Linux, MAKE is the king, (or should I say queen?? ) even for installing software, ah, and if you want to follow the assembler route, follow the GAS path,  is harder, but you could use it to  crossplataform developing,  and the book "Professional assembly Language" from Wrox, use it,  this book is THE BEST for learning to program in assembler in LinuxWord.

hope this help you

Carlos

Gunther

Hi Andy,

Quote from: carlos on April 08, 2014, 01:33:19 PM
... and the book "Professional assembly Language" from Wrox, use it,  this book is THE BEST for learning to program in assembler in LinuxWord.

you should only follow this advice of Carlos if you really like AT&T assembly language syntax.  :lol:

Gunther

Vortex

Hi Carlos,

Concerning Linux, probably, it's a matter of luck to find the right guys to speak. Some Linux fanatics are thinking that you know a lot as you said and that can be unbearable.

Magnum

Quote from: shankle on March 31, 2014, 09:29:21 PM
Am I right in saying MASM32 and GoAsm will not
work in any Linux distribution?
So Magnum, what language are you going to use there?
Are you going to convert all your Masm32 programs
and to what?

I have found the Linux people to be intolerable. They seem to be "SUDO"
bound, like it is their domain to dispense out piecemeal to the rest of us
dummies.

No, I want to just start with using C which is what many front ends support.

I am using Puppy Slacko 5.6.0 which gives you root access as the default.

I agree with you that many Linux users are stubborn.
They feel that no one should have root access except for one day a year. :-)

Andy
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

carlos

Quote from: Gunther on April 08, 2014, 07:16:51 PM
Hi Andy,
you should only follow this advice of Carlos if you really like AT&T assembly language syntax.  :lol:

Gunther

Only a diehard masochist will like GAS,  but it has an advantage over nasm, nasm is x86-centic, while GAS will work in every plataform Linux runs on,  so, if after developing in intel-word, you want to develop on the Raspberry pi, (or any ARM plataform) all you had to do is learn the new instruction  nemonics.

Gunther

Hi Carlos,

Quote from: carlos on April 09, 2014, 12:34:27 PM
Only a diehard masochist will like GAS,  but it has an advantage over nasm, nasm is x86-centic, while GAS will work in every plataform Linux runs on,  so, if after developing in intel-word, you want to develop on the Raspberry pi, (or any ARM plataform) all you had to do is learn the new instruction  nemonics.

are you really sure? Things are often not so easy. That's AT&T syntax for Intel processors:

movl     $1, %eax

That's AT&T syntax for PowerPC:

mulhwu  %r9, %r31, %r28

Not much common ground.

Gunther