Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

WndProc gets no messages for several seconds

Started by jj2007, April 12, 2014, 06:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Hi folks,

I've run into a weird problem with my RTF editor: Sometimes it hangs for several seconds. Monitoring messages in WndProc, SubEdit and SubList shows clearly that during this phase, neither the main window nor the kids receive any messages.

Any ideas what could cause this behaviour? I wouldn't ask if I had not been chasing this bug for several nights ;-)

msg LIST        chg:msgCount    1711    uMsg = WM_NCPAINT
msg MAIN        chg:msgCount    1712    uMsg = WM_ERASEBKGND
msg EDIT        chg:msgCount    1713    uMsg = WM_GETTEXT

msg
MsgDuration             22687   <<<< 22 seconds no activity!!
chg:msgCount    1714
uMsg = WM_HELP

msg EDIT        chg:msgCount    1715    uMsg = WM_NCPAINT
msg MAIN        chg:msgCount    1717    uMsg = WM_CTLCOLORLISTBOX

sinsi

Best guess? Network access. Use sysinternals process monitor to see.

C'mon jj, post some code please. Psychic powers are non-existent on a Saturday night...

jj2007

Quote from: sinsi on April 12, 2014, 07:22:51 PM
Best guess? Network access. Use sysinternals process monitor to see.

Doesn't seem so, but will keep that in mind, thanks.

QuoteC'mon jj, post some code please. Psychic powers are non-existent on a Saturday night...

15,000+ lines of MasmBasic, are you sure??

This is how I test it:

WndProc ...
   invoke GetTickCount
   mov rticks(uMsg), eax
... handlers ...
   invoke CallWindowProc, ...
   invoke GetTickCount
   xchg eax, ecx
   sub ecx, rticks(uMsg)
   .if ecx>1000
      deb 1, "msg RE", chg:msgCount
     .endif

And deb 1 does not pop up, i.e. the ten seconds delay happens outside the WndProc :(

sinsi

jj2007

- download and install
- when reading The smallprint: this library is provided..., click on Try one more
- when the new source is open, click in the task bar on MbGuide to go back to the first document
- and voilĂ , it should hang for several seconds, and then MbGuide appears again.

What is odd is that very old versions (>6months) behave exactly the same. I start wondering if it was a good idea to let Windows do the last 30+ updates since October 2013...

P.S.: I found the culprit - the ten seconds default timeout of Launch. No messages while the OS is waiting...

One day I'll have to buy a Win8 puter, just to test why you could these strange menus. For me it works like a charm...