News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

FreeDOS on USB stick

Started by Gunther, August 09, 2014, 10:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunther

It's sometimes an advantage to start a native DOS from an USB stick. We had an interesting thread about that in the old forum. So far, so good.

Yesterday I've tried to install FreeDOS in that way. It's a mess. The HP tool formats the stick as drive C but it isn't bootable. The same stick is bootable with COMMAND.COM, MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS from DOS 7 (the underlying DOS from Windows 98). Which system files from FreeDOS do I need, to make the drive bootable. I think COMMAND.COM and KERNEL.SYS. But that doesn't work. Has anyone an idea?

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

GoneFishing

I think it's better to install grub4dos to your USB stick  . After that all you need is correctly configure menu.lst and place FreeDos.iso on the path mentioned in the menu.lst.
With grub4dos you may have several boot options .

Gunther

Quote from: vertograd on August 09, 2014, 11:16:04 PM
I think it's better to install grub4dos to your USB stick  . After that all you need is correctly configure menu.lst and place FreeDos.iso on the path mentioned in the menu.lst.
With grub4dos you may have several boot options .

I'll check that idea. Thank you.

Gunther

Vortex

Hi Gunther,

You can check this link :

http://tuxtweaks.com/2009/09/create-a-bootable-freedos-usb-drive-on-windows/

Gunther

Erol,

thank you for the link. I haven't tried it, but here is another powerful tool that I've used. Please check also this thread.

Gunther