Magnum

Anyone had this procedure done ?

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Gunther

Andy,

you should explain which procedure ore providing a link.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

KeepingRealBusy

Google says "Electroconvulsive therapy".

Dave.

Gunther

Ah, it's a kind of a medical procedure (or torture).

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

dedndave

probably low-level muscle-twitching, as opposed to "lobotomy is the next step" electro-shock   :biggrin:

Tedd

You might be more specific..

Electrochemotherapy -- directed chemotherapy, should be more effective and have fewer side-effects than the standard 'poison the whole body hoping to harm the fast-growing bad cells more' approach.

Electroconvulsive therapy -- applying electrical current to the brain in the hopes of magically fixing problems; still unproven as an effective treatment after 50 years. Definite negative side-effects, and actual chance of literally frying your brain.

Elementary cognitive task -- intelligence testing task; unlikely what you meant.

Ecarin clotting time -- blood clotting test, specifically to monitor treatment with Hirudin (anticoagulant); unlikely what you meant.
Potato2

Magnum

Take care,
                   Andy

MichaelW

I knew someone who had electroconvulsive therapy at least once. Her confused state after the treatment was somewhat upsetting, but realistically it was much better than her state before the treatment. I think if they are going to continue to use such therapy, they need to test it on a substantial number of "normal" subjects, and carefully compare their cognitive abilities before and after the treatment. And for test subjects, they need to use the people who are prescribing the treatments.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

Tedd

The only 'reasoning' behind it is that brain activity is electrical, therefore problems can be fixed simply by overloading the brain to effectively reset it, and then allow it to reboot and magically fix itself as if the previous disruption had no effect whatsoever.
In reality, while brain activity is effectively electrical, it's the physical connections between neurons that create our personality, thoughts, and behaviour. So overloading circuits in the hopes of somehow only affecting the 'wrong' connections is naive at best.

What is this intended to be a cure for? And is potential zombification a better alternative?
Potato2

Magnum

Take care,
                   Andy

Tedd

I wouldn't consider transcranial magnetic stimulation to be in the same category as electroconvulsive therapy - there is no electrical current applied to the brain, it's a low-level magnetic interference; although I suppose the intention of disrupting areas in the hope they magically fix themselves is similar.

Depression is the result of low serotonin levels - either through lack of production, or overly quick reabsorption.
The use of SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors - medication that temporarily reduces the reabsorption rate, causing the serotonin to stay around for longer) is the usual medical suggestion.
Though a change in diet and exercise can actually help considerably.

When considering treatment, you should also consider whether this is a long-term problem (years), or short-term in response to personal situations, or even seasonal.
Potato2

Magnum

Been on 2 anti-depressants so far.

My doc wants me to try Welbutrin before considering ECT.

Having an induced seizure scares me a lot. :-)

Take care,
                   Andy

Tedd

Welbutrin works differently from SSRIs, so it may be worth trying; possibly in addition to an SSRI.
There is an associated increased risk of epileptic seizures, but if you're not at risk of epilepsy to begin with, it's a higher than zero risk, not necessarily a high risk.

I would try everything before considering ECT.

I suggest seeing a dietician, and starting a regular exercise regimen; it could help, and it definitely won't be harmful ;)
Potato2

Magnum

I really enjoy helping people.

I ride my bike about 30 miles per week and walk about 10 miles.

Have not had a car for awhile, but will have one by June 2015. :-)

My oldest daughter, Cherise,  gave me a book.

Talking Back To Prozac by Dr. Peter R. Breggin M.D.

I sent this message to my doctor.

My health is very important to me and I work hard at maintaining it and keeping informed of what medications do to the human body.

Dr. Ledlie, who I know is no longer with HCHD once prescribed Tramadol for my pain.

Just for your information.

He also knew I was using Effexor .

Both these medications inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin and other neurotransmitters.

"Tramadol is a synthetic analogue of codeine and acts as a pure opioid agonist. Analgesia results also by inhibition of re-uptake of nor-epinephrine and serotonin, endogenous neurotransmitters that modulate pain "

I don't feel that extra "inhibition of the re-uptake of serotonin" was a wise medical choice in my case.

It is probably why it had no efficacy in regards to my chronic pain.

Hope you have a good week. :-)
Take care,
                   Andy