News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Errors installing MASM on windows 8 64 bit

Started by valium123, August 30, 2014, 12:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valium123

I am facing the usual problem "The ordinal 200 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\AppPatch\AcGenral.dll" while installing masm32 on windows 8. I tried searching for a solution but haven't found one yet. All I see is people posting links to other posts which direct you to other posts still. I want a definite solution to this problem.

hutch--

I am only running up to Win7 64 so I cannot personally help you but I know other folks have solved the problem. MASM32 is Win32 compatible but not necessarily Win8.? compatible.

qWord

valium123,
as quick soulution you can extract (with WinRAR, WinZip, ...) the masm32-folder manually from the installer, place it in the root directory and then run the batch file \masm32\m32lib\build.bat. For extracting the folder and running the batch file you might need to turn off your AV / heuristic scanner.
MREAL macros - when you need floating point arithmetic while assembling!

GoneFishing

I've seen such errors while installing MASM32 on Windows 8 / 8.1 . The best  solution is just  to let the installation continue as it goes despite possible problems with some DLLs ( it's better to remember their names though ) . Finally I had got fully functional MASM32 package and never had any need in AcGeneral's ordinals .

Vortex

AcGenral.dll is a member of the files managing application compatibility.

Gunther

Hi Erol,

Quote from: Vortex on August 30, 2014, 03:28:04 AM
AcGenral.dll is a member of the files managing application compatibility.

so the error message can be ignored under Windows 8/8.1?

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

valium123

Thanks ill try these and tell you. Btw I tried to ignore the error messages but they keep coming and i have to end the program through task manager.

hutch--

I deliberately remain ignorant of Win8.??? but I imagine that you should be able to make a technical users profile that has all of the crap turned off so that either AV scanners or the OS security settings do not interfere with the installation. This installation does not write to the OS at all, it changes nothing and does not steal file extensions from other development environments but it comes at the price that you must have a machine set up so that it can install without interference.

My Win7 64 run the standard Microsoft Essentials that is upgraded every day or so and it does not interfere with any of my setups at all. The main difference is I have UAC turned off and rely on the firewall and AV scanner to supply whatever protection Microsoft have to offer but I also have the NAT on my router set up so that nothing gets through from the outside.

valium123

I just tried what qWord suggested and extracted the it in  C drive but when I run build.bat this error comes up:
"The system cannot find the path specified. Assembly Error."

dedndave

hutch--

I don't use Win8 but you can read this URL to turn off UAC on your computer.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5509-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-8-a.html

valium123

It can't be ignored as none of the programs are running. 'Fatal' errors keep coming up like LINK ERROR etc. So fed up with this... :(

dedndave

don't let it get you frustrated   :t

if all else fails, install it on another machine, then copy the masm32 folder
it makes no modifications to other folders or the registry, so it's a benign install

qWord

Quote from: valium123 on August 31, 2014, 08:09:37 PM
I just tried what qWord suggested and extracted the it in  C drive but when I run build.bat this error comes up:
"The system cannot find the path specified. Assembly Error."
Try it with opening a new command window, switch into the folder m32lib (cd C:\masm32\m32lib) and then start make.bat.
MREAL macros - when you need floating point arithmetic while assembling!

hutch--

Its reasonably simple, your OS configuration is blocking the installation. MASM32 is a development tool, not a browsing and email program and to use development tools you must be able to run executable files without interference and both read and write to disk to create the files you need. Its evident from what you have posted that the libraries were not built and that can only be from one problem, your OS settings OR your AV scanner is silently killing off a range of operations.

Now here is the current suggestion, make a new user profile from your control panel that you use for development. Go into your Control panel settings in the new profile and turn UAC OFF. Set your AV scanner with exceptions for the development tools while leaving your firewall working correctly. If you are using some crappy after market AV scanner, get rid of it and use a decent one that does not misbehave so that you can safely run properly written technical tools.