News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Hey, HUTCH, How long did it take you to code the Quick Editor ???

Started by Zen, September 16, 2014, 03:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

I have been using this program continuously for several months now,...and, I REALLY like it. WHY ???

• Because it's EXTREMELY RELIABLE

MASM32 Code Editor
Steve Hutchesson
Small Memory Footprint Editor
Quick Editor 4.0g Release
Copyright, 2011
Wickedly Crafted In Microsoft Assembler (MASM)
Zen

Vortex

Hutch is working since longtime on Quick Editor. His knowledge and experience makes it reliable.

hutch--

:biggrin:

I did this version in a hurry, it took about 4 weeks in MASM where the earlier ones took over 6 weeks written in BASIC.

Zen

Really,...I think it's a terrific editor (and, I know,...I post alot of wise-ass remarks, but, I'm serious, I swear,...really).
I was thinking,...and, I don't even know how this might be accomplished, but,...a really nice feature would be a look-up capability that scans the include files directory and finds a selected symbol or token definition. It's my single biggest annoyance when programming MASM (besides my own typos and idiotic attempts),...not knowing if some item on one of the newer Operating System versions is defined (or, more specifically, WHERE it would be defined, if it was). I'm sure you've used Visual Studio,...and, so, you know about Intellisense. Something like that,,...except without all the overhead that Visual Studio throws in. I'm pretty sure this would be a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS to implement correctly.
Zen

jj2007

Quote from: Zen on September 16, 2014, 05:56:49 AMa really nice feature would be a look-up capability that scans the include files directory and finds a selected symbol or token definition.

xHelp for qEditor.exe
Quote from: jj2007 on August 20, 2012, 11:16:36 AM
The new version of xHelp searches not only in the various *.chm files but also in the Windows SDK *.h files, e.g. in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include\*.h

hutch--

QE was written with an extendable capacity where you can write your own plugins using either of 2 formats, the latter being preferred as its more powerful. Plonk the plugin on the programmable menu and get it to do whatever you write it to do. I did it this way so that I could test ideas without having to modify the core editor code. If you look in the qeditor.chm file you will find a section on the plugin design which is reasonably straight forward to code and as long as you have a grasp of using a richedit 2/3 control, you can do more or less whatever you like.

There is an option on the "Code" menu "Create New QE Plugin" that writes a skeleton plugin project to the current directory which gives you access to most of the useful stuff you need so there is not much that you cannot do if you get used to working with a rich edit control editor.

QE suffers from a few of my personal biases, no technicolor (even though I wrote a working one back in about 2000), it MUST be pure ascii with no irritations or gimmicks and it must be a single instance editor (can run multiple instances and communicate between them), responds to F1 help on a keyword if you set up the old WIN32.HLP and can have as many help files as you like on the help menu.

Zen

HUTCH,
EXCELLENT !!! THANKS !!!
...I'll play around with it some, and see what kind of damage I can do,...

...And, JOCHEN,...thanks, also,...I downloaded the various components from the thread describing the xHelp Prohect,...looks interesting,...
xHelp for qEditor.exe
Contextual Help Project
Zen

Gunther

There's one thing for sure: Quick Editor is a very reliable tool. Unfortunately it's only for Windows. I would need it for Linux, too.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

hutch--

Sorry Gunther but I cannot help you there, I will not live long enough to comprehend Linux and that would be if I could be bothered.  :P

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on September 16, 2014, 08:58:20 AMQE suffers from a few of my personal biases

If I were a frequent user, my wishlist would be
- a recent files menu
- a decent file open dialog that remembers *.asm and the current folder
- a single key for build all & run the exe

(everybody has personal biases :badgrin:)

hutch--

> - a recent files menu

This is not a goer on a multi - instance editor as each would be writing to the same location and you would end up with this gaggle of rubbish.

> - a decent file open dialog that remembers *.asm and the current folder

I use QE to open many types of files apart from ASM files, that is why it sets "All Files" as its default. With ASM I open ASM, INC and RC files apart from any data files which can be TXT, INI, LOG and any other character based file.

> - a single key for build all & run the exe

This is the easy one to do, just write a batch file that does both.

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on September 16, 2014, 10:40:34 PM
> - a recent files menu

This is not a goer on a multi - instance editor as each would be writing to the same location and you would end up with this gaggle of rubbish.

I know at least one multi-instance editor that copes quite well with this technological challenge 8)

> - a decent file open dialog that remembers *.asm and the current folder

I use QE to open many types of files apart from ASM files, that is why it sets "All Files" as its default. With ASM I open ASM, INC and RC files apart from any data files which can be TXT, INI, LOG and any other character based file.

You could start with the FUF filter (*.asm;*.inc;*.rc) and leave All files as option 2.

Quote> - a single key for build all & run the exe

This is the easy one to do, just write a batch file that does both.
Right. What's the trick to assign a key, e.g. F6, to the batch file (I hate mouse clicks...)?

hutch--

> I know at least one multi-instance editor that copes quite well with this technological challenge

Everyone has their own theory, mine is with the number of files opened by multiple copies of the editor you would end up with a massive list that did not reflect what you were after. MRU lists are for single instance tools, not multi instance tools.

> You could start with the FUF filter (*.asm;*.inc;*.rc) and leave All files as option 2.

The problem with such lousy design is I have the file I want opened while the person who has to track a particular file filter is still playing with their options.

> Right. What's the trick to assign a key, e.g. F6, to the batch file (I hate mouse clicks...)?

If you are adverse to using a mouse, use the normal keyboard options to get things from the menu.

What I tend to write are "reflex" tools which means they must be fast to start, run and close. It is a response to some of the worst designed software that has been around on and off for years where the author never uses it, just shovels it out, extra multiple mouse clicks and all.

Its much the reason why editors are like girlfriends, everyone has a theory and different people write different things to satisfy their views. this may appeal to you, the worst editor I every used was the GFA editor back in the middle 90s, its the reason why I will only every write and use a pure ascii editor, perhaps in the future a pure unicode version but never a gadget that tries to force you to write in a particular manner.

Zen

I have to more or less agree with HUTCH,...I like the simplicity of the Quick Editor.
Quote from: HUTCHI use QE to open many types of files apart from ASM files, that is why it sets "All Files" as its default.
...I also use the Quick Editor to open all kinds of text files,...a recent files item on the menu would be a MAJOR ANNOYANCE for me,...

What I'd REALLY like to see as an innovative feature added to the Quick Editor is a function that monitors the current coding location, and,...if you do SOMETHING INCREDIBLY STUPID,...it has a built-in artificial sense of humor that alerts you with a flashing window message (in a LARGE font, of course),...to the effect:

YOU MORON !!! YOU'VE MADE THE SAME IDIOTIC ERROR SEVEN TIMES NOW !!!
Zen

hutch--

The trouble with error messages like that is you get extremely tired of them after the first million or so errors, you can store a range of different insults and randomly select them each time but the storage bloats the exe size.

Now not withstanding such serious issues, I have a demo of a QE Plugin for you. It must be entered into the menus which you do in the order "Edit/Settings/Edit Menus" and you set the INI file with a display heading something like "Test Plugin" and make an entry something like the following.

[TestPlugin]
Plugin Demo,drv:\path\pluginname.dll

When selected from the menu it brings up a tiny dialog with its own menu that has a range of skeleton options set. With each option you have access at the handles from QE and can do anything you like if you can get the code to work.