News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Is it possible to identify if a user on a client machine is logged into a site?

Started by Brad, September 25, 2014, 04:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

:icon_mrgreen:  Hey All !!  ... long time... hopes all's well !!

I am trying to figure out a way to limit one user per client computer being logged into a site at the same time ...

the purpose is to try to limit the # of bots that can be accessing a site at the same time ....

it's easy to identify logged in status per browser sessions... ie, cookies, local storage etc....

but ... that doesn't cross multiple browser installs ... that can all be running on client at the same time ...

Is it possible to get a client ID ... or IP ... by having the client ping the server ... accross firewalls... dynamic IPs ... etc ?

is it possible to reverse ping a machine ... across firewalls.. etc ?

will rDNS help ?....

any ideas ?

THANKS!!!

TouEnMasm

Possible but not so easy to do.
You must know what is a proxy and what he can do (Be invisible when connected).

Fa is a musical note to play with CL

Brad

Hi ToutEnMasm ...

yeah ... Wayne educated me about proxy's here ... if interested ... http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pbforums/showthread.php?t=58157

anyway... I think I have pretty good alternative work around ....

using cookies and/or html5 local storage ... we can identify a user (or many users) registered and/or logged in on a per browser basis ...

we also can using the server storage... keep track of how many different browsers an individual user uses...

so lets say we use this info as a way to flag the user .... and display it along side their name if we consider them abusive ... ie

username (uses 9 different browsers ~ and has registered 30 different accounts)    :bgrin: