Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by sinsi, October 02, 2014, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anunitu

Well this is interesting...maybe.

Microsoft's Windows 10 Preview has permission to watch your every move.

Hmmmmm....
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2373838/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-permission-to-watch-your-every-move

dedndave

sounds like they are moving toward claiming ownership of all market research information   :(
probably not easy to disable it, either

Vortex

Download Windows Technical Preview :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

MichaelW

Dave,

Back in July when I built my new system I had no problems getting Windows 7-64 OEM from the local dealer that I have been trading with for 20+ years. For the one I purchased the date of manufacture was somewhere in May of this year.

The local Fry's also had Windows 7 available, and apparently still do, search results here.

Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

Gunther

Hi Erol,

Quote from: Vortex on October 04, 2014, 04:32:33 AM
Download Windows Technical Preview :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

it's only available in English, Chinese and Portuguese. Must have to do with the market shares.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

dedndave

Michael - i notice that all those listed are OEM versions
not sure exactly how that works, but i don't think it's the same as RTM editions
my understanding of "OEM" was that manufacturers (Dell, Sony, HP, etc) use those to install on machines for sale
they get a price break for large volume distro

i don't recall the date, but i also went to Fry's Electronics, and all the machines came with win 8
i asked about windows 7, and they said - not available
i'm pretty sure he was telling the truth, because it resulted in a no-sale, and they work on commission

MichaelW

Dave,

I have never installed, or AFAIK even used, anything but OEM versions of Windows, starting with the first OEM version of Windows 95. So while there may be differences from the retail versions, beyond the price, I have never missed them.

Windows 7 not being available on OEM systems seems entirely plausible, because Microsoft can force the issue by simply manipulating the price. In July Fry's web site looked essentially as it does now, and the local store definitely had the 64-bit versions in stock (the 32-bit versions were special order), and the same for my local dealer.

Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

sinsi

My local store still sells Windows 7 x64 OEM, Home for $107 and Pro for $158.
Windows 8.1 OEM goes for $107, $160 for Pro. Retail 8.1 is $123

shankle

Just read an article about Windows 10 by Dedoimedo at www.dedoimedo.com.
This Linux guy liked pretty much Windows 10 versus Windows 8 which he hates.
From my perspective this is what Microsoft should have done instead of Windows 8.
It was just a toy for kids to play on their stupid hand held crap.

Am I going to run out and buy this OS. Hardly! The wait and see policy IMHO
is always to best approach. When Windows 7 dies then I will have to start
thinking about this OS and by that time we will be up to Windows 12 etc.

Wonder how Sinsi got a test version?

Gunther

Hi shankle,

Quote from: shankle on October 06, 2014, 12:13:24 AM
Just read an article about Windows 10 by Dedoimedo at www.dedoimedo.com.

the entire article is more or less an adulation of Windows 10. Let's wait and see.

Gunther

sinsi

>Wonder how Sinsi got a test version?
Downloaded the iso from preview.windows.com

Gunther

Hi sinsi,

Quote from: sinsi on October 06, 2014, 07:18:54 AM
Downloaded the iso from preview.windows.com

thank you for the hint.  :t

Gunther

Vortex

Windows Server Technical Preview :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-vnext-technical-preview

anunitu

The new system my daughter got me was on sale,and it had win7,so they might have been trying to clear their stock for win 10 whenever it comes,and MS is ending coverage for 7 pretty soon.

Neil

Microsoft can only track your every move if you give them permission to do so. If you choose Express install you have effectively given that permision, but there is the choice of Custom install & with that there is the option of letting them see all or nothing, or anything in between. Basically it's down to you.