Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

ESET SS

Started by shankle, November 29, 2014, 01:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

This is going to be sort of a rant.

I have a 2 year license with ESET (1st mistake, never buy more than a 1 year license,
just in case you have to ditch a company that's getting to big for their britches.)
I never had any problems with ESET until I lost a computer and had to reinstall ESET.
When I did, using build 7.xxxx  I got ESET SS build 8 and they had the nerve to want me
to pay for it. So I ambled over to their web site and spent over an hour trying to find
a 7 version to install - no luck. I can't understand why all companies go this route.
To me it must be a dumb boss or some kid just out of college that is the greatest thing
since sliced bread. God what a mess.
Go up on ESET's web site and tell me what you think of it. Now I agree that if you have
not used ESET before then their directions for spending you money is fairly straight
forward. But If you are an old user, best of luck to you.

Now I think Hutch does not use antivirus programs but being dummy that I am, I don't
understand his explanation of what he does to avoid these pitfalls. I wonder what the
rest of you guys use for virus protection besides Norton?

Right now I am running with no virus protection - sort of. Things I do to protect myself from
the internet idiots, that don't have anything better to do, is the following:
1. turn off the computer when not using it. 2. I have a switch that disconnects the internet
when I am at the computer but don't need the internet. 3. Malwarebytes 4. windows firewall
5. windows defender 6. Keep Windows updates up to date 7. Sandboxie  etc.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated, good, bad or whatever.

jj2007

Quote from: shankle on November 29, 2014, 01:35:14 AMThings I do to protect myself from
the internet idiots, that don't have anything better to do, is the following:
1. turn off the computer when not using it. 2. I have a switch that disconnects the internet
when I am at the computer but don't need the internet. 3. Malwarebytes 4. windows firewall
5. windows defender 6. Keep Windows updates up to date 7. Sandboxie  etc.

Just checked my notification area, and nope, no AV there. I always wondered why this machine was so fast :biggrin:

anta40

Quote from: shankle on November 29, 2014, 01:35:14 AM
I wonder what the rest of you guys use for virus protection besides Norton?

MS Security Essentials + a little of common sense.
Every time you are going to run suspicious files, scan them first (or run them inside Sandboxie/VM).

I don't have the AV always enabled though. Use it mostly for weekly scanning.

MichaelW

I also am using MSE, with no problems. After several years the only problems I have had with it were on my P3 and, to a lesser extent, P4 systems, where it would hog the CPU to the point that the system was more or less unusable for extended periods. I think the developers assumed that it would be running on a more or less fast, multi-core processor.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

shankle

I finally got it to work.
Lot of time wasted.
But that's the way it goes.
Only thing I think I did was key in the password 1 letter incorrect.
With my old eyes it's very hard to read that small password.
1's and Ls and 0s and Os all look the same to me. :redface: